Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it ok to use a cot bumber?

(14 Posts)
bumblebee86 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:08:55

I've been reading mixed opinions on cot bumbers. Are they safe to use or are they not recommended now?

TeaBelle Mon 18-Jul-16 21:12:10

No, they are really dangerous and kill babies. Please don't use

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:12:25

My 3 children had cot bumpers without any issues. It's probably advised against now, though...

icklekid Mon 18-Jul-16 21:14:15

I think ones that allow air to flow are fine like this one airwrap but never felt need to...

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 18-Jul-16 21:14:32

There are mesh cot bumpers which I think (please check this for yourself before taking my word for it) resolve the issue. My understanding is that traditional cot bumpers are not fully breathable and can be a cause of sids (child rolling into them/facing into them and not getting enough oxygen) whereas the mesh ones do not have this issue. However the mesh ones will only stop arms and legs getting stuck in the bars, they won't stop banged heads/legs etc

DesignedForLife Mon 18-Jul-16 21:19:59

No, they aren't recommend as can cause strangulation. They aren't needed anyway, babies will bump their head occasionally, but they will be fine!

bumblebee86 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:21:43

Ok thanks. We are expecting our first and all the nursery sets seem to have them in but then I've read you don't only not need one but they are dangerous. So I wasn't sure why they sell them.

dementedpixie Mon 18-Jul-16 21:24:11

Never used one and they aren't required. Don't those nursery sets have a quilt too? They aren't suitable under age 1

Thequilltosurvive Mon 18-Jul-16 21:25:25

I did some research and bought a Safe Dreams cot wrap. It had holes in it to allow airflow and velcroed round the crib bars so no chance of strangulation. I am very PFB so wouldn't have taken any chances. DS used to stick his hands through the bars and get upset so I felt I needed something, plus I was scared of stumbling past him in my sleep deprived state and catching his arm and hurting him. I removed it when he started standing up though so he couldn't use it to climb.

eastcoastmum2014 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:23:45

I never used one with my DD and she was fine, no scrapes or bumps or stuck arms. They really aren't necessary or safe. They shouldn't be available x

AfroPunk Tue 19-Jul-16 14:29:02

When I had my first child in 2009, I can't remember anything being said about them and I used them in her crib and cot. No problems at all but I cringe because when our second child was born in 2012, in a conversation with a midwife on the PN ward, and later our HV, I was told that they're a strangulation hazard. I didn't use one for me second dc.

I'm expecting dc3 in the autumn and will only put a cot bumper on the cot for decoration as my DM has bought a beautiful one; it will be removed however, when the baby is in it.

Cheerybigbottom Tue 19-Jul-16 14:30:51

My son was forever getting arms and legs stuck between cot bars, we used a Velcro secured breathable mesh unclimbable air wrap.

AfroPunk Tue 19-Jul-16 14:31:17

pixie is correct, cot bumpers come with quilts. The quilt is for decoration only, too, as I like to 'dress the room' (that'll probably go once I have 3 dcs to look after, but anyway!)

SquedgieBeckenheim Tue 19-Jul-16 20:27:19

I had the airwrap bumpers for DD, and intend to use them when number 2 arrives. One advantage I found was that the dummies didn't fall out the cot so easier for us to find when she lost it in the night. Plus the fact she couldn't stick her legs through the bars (weird child liked laying widthways across the cot). But they are breathable and collapse she can't be used to climb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now