Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my baby moving!?

(8 Posts)
leedsladyx Wed 13-Jul-16 02:08:03

I am 9+2 weeks pregnant. It is my first child so I'm not completely sure, but for the past 2 nights when I have been laid calmly in bed, I swear I could feel movement in my lower stomach. It's a feeling I've never had before, it feels almost like butterflies and light twinges. Could I actually be feeling movement this early on?

user1467983757 Wed 13-Jul-16 02:23:08

I would think that's really early. I have heard others saying similar though. I'm 8w (2nd pregnancy) not feeling anything yet.

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Wed 13-Jul-16 02:52:35

No it's too early to feel the actual embryo moving around. It's only just started to move around and weighs only about two grams at the moment so won't be detectable for a while yet. I felt tiny little flutters with DS1 at around 16 weeks which is about the earliest you'd expect for a first baby.

CharminglyGawky Wed 13-Jul-16 04:55:48

I really really doubt it. I had a scan at 8+4 weeks and there was a heartbeat but no movement. So your little one will only just have started to make the smallest of movements. With the amniotic fluid acting as a cushion you really won't feel anything yet.

But, I know exactly what you mean and felt it as well at almost exactly the same stage. I wondered at the time if maybe I was feeling my uterus sort of bulging a bit.

Since watching my little one do an entire flip in my 12wk scan (that was at 13wks) and not being able to feel a thing I'm even more convinced what I felt wasn't movement. Most likely normal digestive stuff that happens all the time but I'm not normally so fixated on the area!

AudreyBradshaw Wed 13-Jul-16 10:53:09

I was feeling what I described as 'white noise' at about 13 weeks, moving though to what felt like a mobile phone on vibrate actually inside my body at about 15/16 weeks. Now 21 weeks and getting gentle pokes and prods with some sporadic tap dancing or a people's elbow thrown in occasionally.

9 weeks is probably too early to be feeling baby, more likely to be your digestive system or wind. Or your uterus expanding and stretching.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 13-Jul-16 11:17:40

I am on my second pregnancy so had had experience of movements and I have felt no. 2 move since around about 9 weeks. I wasn't convinced at all as I was like no its too small, it must just be wind, and tried to ignore but it was definitely some kind of movements.

Can be an indicator of multiples - so I had a panic ridden three weeks till scan until it was confirmed it was just the 1!!!

It is possible. With my first I didn't feel a thing until 16 weeks.

Thequilltosurvive Wed 13-Jul-16 11:22:08

It's more likely to be grunts and gurglings from your digestive system (which slows in pregnancy). I felt my first DC move just over 16 weeks and this one at about 14.5 weeks. Both were very distinct kicks. Baby is almost certainly too small and not strong enough to make movements you can actually feel at 8 weeks. The earliest I've seen referenced by internet sources is about 13 weeks +.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 13-Jul-16 11:47:03

I did loads of research when I felt them and it is possible. I honestly didn't believe it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now