Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby movement from 20 weeks - how much do you feel?

(7 Posts)
barabasiAlbert Sat 09-Jul-16 07:32:01

At 20 weeks, is it normal to feel very light movements, only every few hours, and not notice movements if you're doing other things or wearing a pelvic support belt?

I am increasingly scared because this baby has a straight (uncoiled) umbilical cord, which can, in theory, compress or kink very easily, leading to hypoxic brain injury. Periods of non-movement are probably fine but I just don't know how often is often enough for movement...

tapismagique Sat 09-Jul-16 07:35:13

Do you know if you have an anterior placenta? My sonographer told me this would muffle the feeling of movement & I didn't feel anything until 22 weeks. Also the kick-counting charity advises that you're unlikely to discern a regular pattern until 28 weeks

barabasiAlbert Sat 09-Jul-16 07:43:01

I do have an anterior placenta. That may be why I'm not feeling anything...
just wish i could get advice on what's normal and what's worrying with the umbilical cord. My midwife is completely useless and I'm waiting til mid-August to see an obstetrician about it...

welshweasel Sat 09-Jul-16 07:45:04

Yes at 20 weeks the movements weren't terribly noticeable and I had days where I felt lots and days with none. I didn't really get any sort of pattern until about 24 weeks. And that was with a posterior placenta.

Northernlight22 Sat 09-Jul-16 11:21:20

I'm 26 weeks now with an anterior placenta and I feel very little some days, although other days baby is lower so I feel more at the sides and low down.

I didn't really start feeling anything til about 21 weeks

AudreyBradshaw Sat 09-Jul-16 11:36:51

I'm 20+3 with an anterior placenta. I've was feeling what I can only really describe as 'white noise' from about 14 weeks, then it felt like a phone was ringing on vibrate but inside my belly at about 17 weeks. It's only now that I can feel very tiny prods and pokes and jiggles. Occasionally baby properly sticks a boot in but I've only felt that at the sides and bottom, which would make sense with an anterior placenta.

I notice when baby is awake now, but my midwife said not to worry about not feeling movement patterns until later because at this stage they're still so tiny and they sleep loads (something like up to 80/90% of the time).

barabasiAlbert Sat 09-Jul-16 21:51:34

Thanks all for the reassurance. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now