Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cant sleep - please recommend a good pregnancy pillow

(11 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Fri 08-Jul-16 17:41:59

Hi all, Im six months pregnant and finding it very hard now to get comfortable in bed. I am now suffering from back ache too. I did buy a very long, huge U-shaped pregnancy pillow from Amazon but always end up kicking it off the bed. Really dont get how people like it - I feel trapped and my head is uncomfortable in it, even with extra pillows.

Is there any other pillow I can use to make me more comfortable? Thanks for any recommendations.

DesignedForLife Fri 08-Jul-16 18:59:56

I've found a twisted up spare duvet more helpful, you can shape it just how you like it!

dats Fri 08-Jul-16 19:10:54

Cheap V pillow from IKEA, small cushion between my knees.

pinkladyapple Fri 08-Jul-16 21:57:04

After trying normal pillows, a wierd U shaped one that was as big as me, and a V shaped one, I found this one the best -

www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Widgey-Nursing-Maternity-Pillow/dp/B00FSFIA54/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468011293&sr=8-10&keywords=pregnancy+pillow

It's good because you can have it under your head, then over your shoulder, under your bump, then between your legs. It's easy to roll from one side to the other while mounted on it too, grin definately the best thing ever. Can use it as a nursing pillow afterwards.

Now that I am 37 weeks I have a pillow behind my back too so I don't roll back. Still happy with it, had it a few months.

Craftycakey15 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:19:46

dats - how do you use the V shaped pillow?

pinklady - that widget looks like a big u shape pillow which I have. Dont get how it helps? I toss and turn and have to keep placing it between my legs when I turn over. I guess that's just what I have to do?

pinkladyapple Sat 09-Jul-16 10:27:23

Crafty it isn't U shaped it's like a long thin tube, it's just curved round in the picture. It has a very very slight curve to it but its pretty much straight and about from my head down to halfway down my calf in length. It's also very very firm. I find it's long enough for me to rest my bump on as well as between my legs.

I wake up every 1-2 hours to wee now (I'm 38 weeks) and I just rearrange myself on one side and then the other with this pillow when I get out of bed.

Bluebird126 Sat 09-Jul-16 11:01:01

I swear by the Sleep Genie pillow, got it from John Lewis. Not massive like some others, supports your back, comes up and fits between legs, keeps you on the left side and supports bump but not so restrictive that you can't roll over onto your back if you want to. Definitely not a massive obstruction in the bed x

Pearlman Sat 09-Jul-16 11:18:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dc3name3 Sat 09-Jul-16 11:22:31

I loved that Widgey pillow in my last pregnancy. The previous two pregnancies I had a friend's dream genii and I didn't find it nearly as comfy, mainly because of the panel that you lie on I think. Couldn't swap sides so easily.

Vampishtortoise Sat 09-Jul-16 20:52:07

I love the v pillow from ikea, very cheap. I sleep with it in between my legs and then pull one part up and cuddle it. The only pain is moving from one side to another but that's a ten point turn regardless of whatever pillow I have. Started using it at 22weeks and now at 31+3 and still great.

dats Sun 10-Jul-16 22:42:08

Crafty I put it on my normal pillow with one side coming down under my face(!) It's basically to prop me up for heartburn reasons. But if my SPD is worse than the indigestion, I have the V pillow between my knees, one side running from my fanjita to knee, the other side knee to ankle, following the shape of my bent legs.

I have to say though that we have a brand new bed/mattress and I don't need to support my bump at all, which is odd as I'm
39w. So maybe that's why I need less support!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now