Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant Nanny feel I'm letting my boss down

(4 Posts)
Avacadobaby Fri 08-Jul-16 09:52:11

Hi never used this before so hope I've pressed on the right thing. I just need some advice as to how tell my boss im pregnant. I'm a nanny and only started working for this family a few montha ago. I have just had a number of weeks off from work due to a broken leg. I'm due to go back to work next week and I know it's been a bit of a nightmare for the family I work for having to switch between a childminder and relying on family and friends to look after the kids whilst I've been off. Now last week I found out I am 5 weeks pregnant, which me and my husband are thrilled about, but I'm just really worried because I'll go back to work and then I have holidays booked in in a few more weeks time so I'll be off for another couple of weeks and then I'll have to tell her I'm pregnant. Im already feeling crappy so might not be able to hide it all that well. I've always been a very conscientious worker for every family i have worked for and I really love the work I do but I'm worried she's just going to think I'm lazy not wanting to work and that I'm also goig to be just letting her down again and leaving her in the lurch. I really like this family and she's really lovely which is why I don't want to mess her around. I know they're not rolling in money and it's a struggle to pay me at all so I just don't know when and how to tell her. Anyone been in a similar situation before or has any advice? Thanks

smellsofelderberries Fri 08-Jul-16 14:36:44

I'm a nanny too and know exactly how you feel. It's very stressful, but at the end of the day you need to do what is best for your little family and you can't worry too much about putting them out. They knew that by having a nanny instead of sending the little one/s to nursery that this might happen, so thems the breaks. After all, if the arrangement wasn't working for them they would have no second thoughts about changing things around to suit them. Just make sure you have a good paper trail when you tell them so you're protected. I ended up leaving my full time job just before I found out about my current pregnancy, because I had a very drawn out miscarriage over Christmas and was in and out of work for about 6 weeks, but if that pregnancy had continued I had planned on taking maternity leave as soon as I could have.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 08-Jul-16 14:41:20

Treat them with respect and hopefully they will do the same to you. You don't have to be all out for yourself and screw them over or assume they would shaft you without a second thought hmm. They trust you with their children. Trust them to do the right thing.

babyash Tue 12-Jul-16 14:47:37

I'm a nanny too, and with this pregnancy and my last, I was fortunate as mum was pregnant too.
However I have had stints of 'bad luck' where it seems a constant stream of one thing after another where you have to let them down - it's the worst part of the job, but also the risk a family takes relying on one person for their childcare - no back up plan for your time off.
But sadly it's life and if you worked in a large office, it wouldn't be as bad for you.
You just have to be brave and honest with them - they can't dismiss you for being pregnant, however with this job, there is always a risk that they decide to change the sort of childcare they use - but if they did find a new nanny, that could be seen as unfair dismissal.
How have they been about your time off? Just be honest and open about how you are so worried about letting them down.
Good luck star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now