Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta

(11 Posts)
whyistherenoavocadoemoji Tue 05-Jul-16 14:51:55

I had my 20 week scan last week and was told I had a low lying placenta and that it was just touching the OS. The sonographer didn't tell me during the scan but just gave me an info sheet about it and booked me in for another scan in 12 weeks to see if it has moved.

Having done a bit of research I understand a low lying placenta is fairly common - but I'm not sure if there's anything I should/shouldn't be doing now that I know?

I was planning to re-join the gym (having only just started to feel less tired), just to do ante natal Pilates or something but I read somewhere that low-lying placenta ladies should take it easy?! I also read somewhere that one lady had been advised not to have sex for the rest of her pregnancy?!

Just wanted to know others' experiences really!

whyistherenoavocadoemoji Tue 05-Jul-16 19:00:42

Hopeful bump

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 05-Jul-16 19:15:13

One of my sisters had a low lying placenta. Quite often they move out of the way as the uterus stretches but I assume you will be monitored and rescanned?
My sisters' was very low so she was booked in for a CS and although she lost a fair bit of blood, she and my lovely niece were fine.
She was advised to watch out for any blood loss during pregnancy and go straight to hospital if she experienced any bleeding. Other than that, It was fine to exercise and have sex.

I'm not an expert at all though so probably best to ask your midwife if you have any concerns. I just wanted to reassure you that low lying placenta is fairly common and quite often 'rights' itself as the baby grows. smile

HP07 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:29:01

I had a low lying placenta and had quite a lot of issues with bleeding. I believe that as long as you aren't having any issues then you can continue as normal but try not to overdo it with lifting etc but if you have bleeds then you should avoid lifting, intercourse and strenuous activities. Most of then move up out of the way. I'm 29 weeks and mine has already moved and the bleeds have stopped (touches wood) so the likelihood is yours will move too, especially as it's not covering the cervix. Good luck.

Chrisinthemorning Tue 05-Jul-16 19:46:42

www.nhs.uk/chq/Documents/2015%20uploads/RCOG%20-%20low-lying-placenta-after-20-weeks.pdf
This is a good read. My story would scare you but I have a healthy 4 year old asleep upstairs so all ended well. Good luck!

QueenEnid Tue 05-Jul-16 20:36:43

Hi op
I was found to have a low lying placenta at 20 weeks too and am booked in to go back on 22/7 for my 32 week scan
Advice was that it would more than likely move. I've had 3 other scans since for other issues and all have shown that it's moved up a bit since. Hopefully it'll be enough by next weeks scan!

I was told to continue as normal and come in if I had any bleeding. No issues at all so far with bleeding and I'm now 30 weeks x

PhloppysFonics Tue 05-Jul-16 20:48:02

I am in the same situation as you OP. I'm 20 weeks too. I'm not planning on making any changes to exercise routine it sex, I've had no bleeding. Have you had any issues with bleeding ?

I will keep my fingers crossed that our placentas move!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 05-Jul-16 20:54:32

I had the same as you OP touching the OS.
Most (I think about 90%) move up so it will probably not be an issue.
They scanned me again at 32 weeks and then booked in for 36 as it was still low. I'd had a big bleed and had DS before then though! He's upstairs asleep too so all ended well here.
If it's still low later on it might be bed rest and a c section but I'd wait until your next scan. And if it's still low pack your bag. You don't want your partner packing it for you if your are admitted....trust me grin

whyistherenoavocadoemoji Tue 05-Jul-16 21:22:01

Thank you ladies! I now feel less in the dark and slightly reassured!

whyistherenoavocadoemoji Tue 05-Jul-16 21:23:29

phloppy I've had no bleeding at all in this pregnancy so far, so hoping I will get away with none and the placenta will budge upwards!!

DesignedForLife Tue 05-Jul-16 22:38:53

I found out have low lying placenta at 20 week scan. Very strictly told no intercorse and any even slight bleeding to go straight to A&E or maternity unit. They said they will keep stocks of my blood type!

I'm 34 weeks now and it's still low, but not touching the cervix. No bleeding than goodness. I'm due a scan at 36 weeks, and if no change they will book me in for a c-section soon after. They've advised any hint of labour - contractions, waters breaking etc, I'm to go straight in, consultant told me to call an ambulance, but my last labour was only an hour long so I guess they are more worried!

Not been told to not exercise, though TBH I wouldn't think anything to strenuous would be good at this point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now