Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant again 9 weeks after giving birth/painful abdomen

(12 Posts)
sian1992 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:49:23

Hello everyone, I'm new to this mumsnet but need some advice sad
I had my baby girl 3 weeks ago and had unprotected sex about 6 weeks after. I took a pregnancy test 4 days ago which was positive and have had pain in my abdomen for a few weeks now but earlier on today had sharp stabbing pains on my lower right side, it was so uncomfortable it almost brought me to tears. I don't remember having this in my first pregnancy. Could it be where I've only just had a baby and fallen pregnant so quickly or could something be wrong?

JessicaRabbit3 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:56:38

I had similar cramping like pains. I had I protective sex afew times after my DS was born, we thought we were safe as I was BF and started on the pill when I realise. I had cramping first followed by bleeding whilst I had started the pill. I didn't know a 100 percent if I was pregnant as I wasn't tracking it and didn't take a test but the pain was horrible in fact sometimes breath taking not like a normal period. I was like that for a couple of days with heavy bleeding. I think my body just hadn't recovered from my last pregnancy so didn't take. It could however be the egg attaching to the wall of the uterus but if you think it's more ring the GP.

ohidoliketobe Tue 05-Jul-16 15:07:00

Hi OP. Is there any chance you could nip to a walk in centre or call the maternity day unit closest to you? I don't want to be alarmist or frighten you at all, but sharp pains in one side of the lower abdomen can be a sign of an eptopic pregnancy. I do hope it's nothing to worry about and is just a case of everything settling back down. Congratulations on the birth of your DD by the way

sian1992 Tue 05-Jul-16 15:17:49

Thankyou. And Thankyou both for your advice. I do have a doctors appointment at half 5 I'm just getting myself really worked up and I'm really scared. It's not a constant pain but when I had it earlier it was really painful. I did ring the early pregnancy unit at the hospital aswel but the nurse I spoke to said it would be too early to tell if it was eptopic, I have really been worrying about that too. I really hope it's not that serious. I don't do myself any favours either as I google everything and that just makes me feel worse :'(

MummyBtothree Tue 05-Jul-16 15:27:45

I had an ectopic pregnancy and two years later when I found out I was expecting again I had pain in my other side ( they removed my right tube). The pain was that intense I was convinced that it was another ectopic that they took me into surgery but everything was fine and I went on to have a normal pregnancy. Apparently some women can get this sort of bad pain but its best to keep an eye on yourself just in case. It might not be ectopic so try not to fear the worst. Another common symptom is pain in your shoulder with an ectopic pregnancy and any blood spotting that is dark or 'old' looking. Hope everything goes well for you flowers

sian1992 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:45:08

Thankyou everyone. Not long till my doctors appointment sad

JessicaRabbit3 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:54:18

Let us know how you get on op flowers

AllChangeLife Tue 05-Jul-16 17:34:49

Hope you are ok?

sian1992 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:42:43

I had my doctors appointment. He said if I am to get pain again or pain in my shoulder and blood to go to A&E. I had pain in my shoulder the other day but haven't since. I had told him exactly how I've been feeling but I didn't feel he helped much as I'm still just as worried as before. I don't really know where to go from here confused

dollylucy Tue 05-Jul-16 18:58:49

My sister had a ruptured a topic recently and it was very scary. She passed out from the pain and went downhill very quickly.

Besides the pain, how do you feel?

I think if you are worried you should just go to the epu or a&e.

Don't worry about what they say about it being too early.
They're the only ones who can monitor you.

Ellarose85 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:13:50

I fell pregnant 12 weeks after having my DS and had similar pains OP. I put it down to my body being totally recovered from DS.

I'm now 37 weeks pregnant, it's been a lot tougher than my first pregnancy physically.

I hope it all works out okay for you, please keep us updated smile

sian1992 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:08:04

I feel okay in myself really. Been feeling hot and cold but I don't seem to have a temperature. I think worry is getting the better of me I just want to be checked over to put my mind at rest. I appreciate the advice from you all and for sharing your experiences flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now