Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No internal exams all pregnancy, is this normal?

(10 Posts)
georgiaaawhite Mon 04-Jul-16 16:08:58

Is it normal not to be checked internally for things like dilation with midwives in the UK? I've seen loads of forums online with lots of expecting mothers that get checked on how far dilated they are or other factors to show perhaps when they may go into labour, but my midwife hasn't done anything of the kind, is this normal?

I am 37+2 if that is any help
Thank you in advance x

Flisspaps Mon 04-Jul-16 16:10:49

Perfectly normal in UK.

If you accept a sweep at 40+ weeks then that's the only time you'd normally have one before labour. There's not actually any point to them in pregnancy before then - they don't tell the Dr anything in a normal pregnancy.

RadicalPessimist Mon 04-Jul-16 16:11:12

No, we don't do this in the UK. It is standard practice in the US though.

DramaAlpaca Mon 04-Jul-16 16:13:24

Completely normal.

Mummyme87 Mon 04-Jul-16 16:13:27

Absolutely pointless as it tells you nothing. Plus vaginal examinations in pregnancy may stimulate cervix and trigger early labour.

georgiaaawhite Mon 04-Jul-16 16:14:39

Oh right, thank you all! makes me feel more at ease now smile

kansasmum Mon 04-Jul-16 16:17:08

Don't usually do internal exams until either you're in labour or overdue and having a sweep. Not much point in examining you before you're in labour!!

welshweasel Mon 04-Jul-16 16:23:02

I only had one internal during pregnancy and that was following some bleeding. Had an ELCS so can't comment about when you're in labour.

Batteriesallgone Mon 04-Jul-16 16:24:05

Internals are an infection risk. It's good they aren't standard practice until really needed

isittimeforarainbow Mon 04-Jul-16 22:30:06

I think it is completely bonkers that is is standard in the US. I didn't have an internal until I was on labour and at 4cm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now