Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help-need some perspective re work

(6 Posts)
Cosycottage4 Sun 03-Jul-16 20:17:22

I'm 28 weeks with DC2 and finishing work in 9 weeks, so really I should have things in better perspective, but am really struggling.

I have a stressful job with a lot of responsibility and am finding it difficult to manage my anxiety levels at the mo. Particularly because we have a load of incompetent team members that we are trying to upskill, but in the meantime I am basically accountable for their work (ie reviewing and getting it up to the required standard within very tight deadlines) I feel like everyday is a race against the clock to turn a shit piece of work around and sent to the client before I have to fly out of the door at 5 on the dot to collect my DD from nursery.

I am already dreading tomorrow because I know what's waiting for me...I just don't feel like I can carry on at this pace. My boss sort of understands the situation but would basically tell me to just take a step back...but I when I do, I'm the one who gets it in the neck with the client-which is NOT a pleasant experience! I also care about the work so find this a difficult approach anyway.

Anyone been in a similar situation or got any words of advice re how to detach/manage stress?! I want to enjoy these last weeks but find myself constantly thinking about work in the evenings and at weekends :-(

KayTee87 Mon 04-Jul-16 08:08:34

No advice as I've never been able to detach from work. I'm on my second week of maternity leave but my whole pregnancy I worked loads of extra hours to try and get everything up to scratch - I was exhausted. flowerschocolate

youcantakethegirloutof Mon 04-Jul-16 08:22:29

I too struggle to detach & was often working 60 hour weeks & utterly exhausting myself during pregnancy until I got some pregnancy complications & had to be much more firm with myself & eventually had to start my mat leave early. All I would say is when I did that the sky did not fall down! They will have to cope without you in 8-10 weeks - so you need to be firm with your supervisor about expectations now and try to take a bit of a step back. Easier said than done I know! smile

Cosycottage4 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:08:37

Thanks so much for your replies :-) Had another awful day yesterday and def can't carry on as I am.

I had a chat with my boss about it but it's unclear what the solution is at the moment as I am the only one who can really do what I'm doing...and the idea is that by the time I leave, the team will be properly up skilled and better able to cope without me.

I do think I need to start caring less, and just doing what I can do without over-exerting myself. It's just really hard, especially as I don't want this to affect my reputation with the client who I will be working with when I get back from mat leave. The client does know our predicament but is not really prepared to offer any slack as they obviously have their own pressures and just need us to deliver.

Beansprout30 Tue 05-Jul-16 13:54:17

Im on my 2nd week of maternity leave too and the weeks before I left were pretty hectic for me and I was worrying that there would be things I wouldn't have chance to hand over to my colleague. By my last week I just thought sod it, I csn only do what I can and the place will not fall down without me!

Now im feeling a bit strange that ive had no contact from anyone so they must be coping just fine without me.. can't win!

f1ddlesticks Tue 05-Jul-16 16:55:25

I totally sympathise. During my first pregnancy I had to really extricate myself from a complex team that I did pretty much everything for. Even down to interviewing for cover for part of my job during my last week and negotiating that persons salary etc after I'd finished. This time I had a different situation but at 19weeks now already feeling the pressure about finding cover and getting the team up to speed. I think I also care too much and always put myself last!

Is there any way during the process of upskilling the team that you can set a kind of framework that slightly restricts your available time with them? No idea what you do or how the team works but for instance making yourself available in the morning, setting work to be done, then having an hour slot for them to ask questions later? But relinquishing a bit of control in between? Ok so that's v simplistic but the principal would be to carve out some time where you're not solely responsible and they have a chance to develop their skills, whatever format that process might take?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now