Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scan shows large abdominal circumference - rescan scheduled and so worried

(8 Posts)
skybluepinkish Wed 29-Jun-16 12:38:31

Had my 20 week scan yesterday and it seemed like everything was totally fine. then when my notes were handed over I was told that the babies belly was big (abdominal circumference came out the same size as the head) and I would need to be attend another scan but this wouldn't be for 2 weeks awaiting the consultant. Not given any indication of what it might be and no clue (everything else came back normal). I'm panicking so much right now. Has anyone else had or known of similar?

seven201 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:24:15

I had this. Eventually it turned out I had gestational diabetes but they didn't test me for it for about 2 months after they first noticed the large belly. Ask about that next time you see them.

FaFoutis Wed 29-Jun-16 13:29:05

I had this. I had tests for diabetes then another scan where they looked at the baby's bowels. It was all fine and baby was healthy.
If they were really worried you would not be waiting 2 weeks.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Wed 29-Jun-16 13:39:04

Yes, had it every time. Boys are fine smile

NovemberInDailyFailLand Wed 29-Jun-16 13:40:04

(current one just taking after his father, hehehe)

GashleyCrumbTiny Wed 29-Jun-16 13:44:12

It's easy to worry, especially if they haven't given you much helpful information - but the two week wait for a re-scan is a telling indication. If it was likely to be something worrying they'd move a lot faster than that.If they're waiting two weeks then they don't think it's likely to be anything serious. Easier said than done, but try not to stress yourself.

dats Wed 29-Jun-16 21:46:27

I had this too, at a growth scan at 32w. Consultant got me to take a GTT to rule out gestational diabetes but that came back negative. Prior to the GTT, he said 'or course it could just be a chunky baby' (thanks!). Scans are notoriously unreliable - plus abdo measurement is apparently tricky to obtain and can appear increased if the baby has just taken a gulp of amniotic fluid.

Jodie1982 Wed 29-Jun-16 22:27:14

My boy had this too. He was born perfectly healthy just on large side of 10lb 2oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now