Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant at forty and over - thread 3

(165 Posts)
Marquand Wed 29-Jun-16 09:17:18

To continue support for mothers to be over 40.

Marquand Wed 29-Jun-16 09:27:26

I had my 34 week appointment on Monday, and all is going well. Baby boy is weighing approximately 2.4kg now (and has gone up the percentile chart), and the plasenta etc is looking good. All seems to be on track. smile

Otherwise, in our house of plague, things remain the same - we are just changing seats in the who-is-sick musical chairs game. DC2 has just had a horrid viral infection, and spent two days with a very high fever, vomiting, not eating a thing, and drinking only small sips of water/juice. Yesterday afternoon he started getting better, and by this morning, fortunately, the greatest source of distress was that I had to go to the office.

The doctor picked up high nitrates or something in my urine on Monday, and sent it off to be tested. Chances are that I still have a bladder infection (not surprising, considering how much I've been vomiting). I'll hear today.

Generally, I'm being a shite employee at the moment. I'm just beyond tired and sick, and the I care about work button seems to be malfunctioning. Maternity leave is scheduled to start on 22 July, but I think I might have to go a week earlier.

shabbychic1 Wed 29-Jun-16 10:08:41

Just waiting for my GTT at the hospital, very bored! Only 11 weeks til B-day! Wow I can't believed it's going g so fast!
Marquand I've found even with the best will in the world sickness in pregnancy (and the exhaustion etc.) hits you so hard, sometime you have to have time off, hope you can test I between looking after the kids and yourself! flowers

Marquand Wed 29-Jun-16 10:20:20

shabby ....

The GTT is just the most horrid test in the world. The fasting, the vile stuff that you have to swallow, and the e-n-d-l-e-s-s waiting around. Good luck - this too shall pass.

shabbychic1 Wed 29-Jun-16 20:50:37

It was sickly, made me get indigestion and sooooo boring... Was just wishing for a comfy chair, I could've slept for the 2 hour! But it's over, yay!

teabagsmummy Wed 06-Jul-16 08:37:53

Hi I found you allsmile I had my early scan last Tuesday everything looked good due 14th February .
I'm a bit worried had severe morning all day long from 5 weeks till Monday now disappeared was so bad I lost 1 stone on a week . Don't know why it's gone hope it's not bad news again

shabbychic1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:08:26

Hi Tea welcome and congrats!! My ms went out if the blue at about 15/16 weeks never to return. For a few weeks I had no symptoms at all and didn't even feel pregnant! Don't worry! I've now got a very wriggly 30 week old in my tum! grin it's lovely when the morning sickness goes! But if you're worried talk to your mw flowers

teabagsmummy Wed 06-Jul-16 19:56:00

I lied feel like crap again must of been a good day yesterday confused

shabbychic1 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:08:21

Argh! least you know it's all ok grin

Marquand Thu 07-Jul-16 10:33:56

Congratulations and good luck Tea.

I'm now 35w, and the nausea is still ongoing. Last week I heard that the bloody annoying bladder infection was still with me, and I was put on 5 days of the worst antibiotic ever. I was sick as a dog, and off work again. Back today.

At least baby is doing fine - last night his exercise routine lasted a good hour, and I just smiled looking at my tummy going all weird and wonderful shapes.

Today in 3 weeks is my c-section. Time goes fast. I cannot wait for the pregnancy to be over (I really am not enjoying it), but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready for the baby... But I guess when I get there, I'll love it.

teabagsmummy Sun 10-Jul-16 09:23:55

I ended up getting admitted to hospital at 1am Friday morning I could keep anything down feel much better need 6 bags of fluid through a drip and now in 2 anti sickness tablets.
Just worried baby has been harmed as they said keytones could kill the baby! Wasn't offered a scan as no scan equipment at the weekend

shabbychic1 Sun 10-Jul-16 17:30:55

Oh Tea I'm glad you're feeling better, you just have been so dehydrated. I'm sure your baby will be ok, are they booking a scan for tomorrow? flowers

teabagsmummy Sun 10-Jul-16 18:40:53

There not booking a scan and I don't have my 12 week scan till 2nd August . I've been googling and there wasn't to much evidence what that nurse said that is true, so feeling a wee bit more relieved now

teabagsmummy Mon 11-Jul-16 10:02:53

I managed to get booked in for a scan tomorrow morning keeping everything crossed for a good outcome

shabbychic1 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:04:09

Oh that's fantastic, it really will put your mind at rest- and it's so exciting too! Fingers crossed and sending hugs and good wishes flowers

teabagsmummy Tue 12-Jul-16 10:59:21

Had scan everything looks good 2 days ahead now 9+2 do happy grin

shabbychic1 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:39:16

Yay tea that's brilliant, I was waiting to hear and I'm so pleased for you! flowers

Floozie66 Sat 16-Jul-16 07:56:18

help pregnant at 44 with twins - wasnt expecting this and feel totally overwhelmed. I feel so tired and nausea 24 hours (only 7 weeks) that the thought of how i will cope is stressing me out. Both my other children were really bad sleepers, constantly feeding in the night and when that ended still waking hourly until they were well into their twos. I have no family support so that always gets me down as well. Also will need to go back to work and my salary will barely cover the cost of twins nursery places. Also will need to think about moving / getting a bigger car. Any tips on to survive twins!!

Rugby01 Tue 19-Jul-16 20:05:32

Hello everyone. Glad I found this thread again. tea - hope you are feeling better. How scary to have that kind of morning sickness. shabby - have you had your GTT results yet?
floozy - congratulations! I am afraid I can't advise about twins but I am sure someone else on here can. Good luck and hope the news starts to sink in soon and become more manageable.

I am due to push a wheelchair tomorrow. I'm nearly 21 weeks. Anyone know if this is a bad idea?

teabagsmummy Wed 20-Jul-16 19:29:38

Hi everyone still feeling awful but thankfully stopped being sick.
Rugby I push wheelchairs all the time As I'm a nurse, but only for short distances . Just take it easy and take lots of breaks

Bluebird126 Wed 20-Jul-16 21:27:03

Starting to waddle a bit and nasty tailbone pain when sitting down for too long, but otherwise good. Hope everyone is doing ok, at least it won't be so hot tonight!

Rugby01 Thu 21-Jul-16 07:59:59

Thanks tea- that made me feel better. Hope you are ok - glad you've stopped being sick.

bluebird - how far gone are you? I have heard about the waddling phase! Hope you are ok!

I've got my 2nd scan today - at 21 weeks. Nervous but excited too. Who knows what's in there!! Sometimes I wonder if it's just cake!

Hope everyone is ok? Are the school holidays going to affect anyone? (For me, it's good, as I'm a teacher)...

thereisnocheese Thu 21-Jul-16 19:02:51

Hi, can I join in please? Just found out I'm pregnant at 40! I already have a little girl who will be two in September. Hoping the current toddler tantrums calm down by next March!! Working fulltime in the City and melting during the commutes! All feels a bit surreal this time.smile

shabbychic1 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:59:23

Hi everyone hope all are well! Phew thank goodness it's a little cooler today! At 32 weeks I'm really feeling it! Also got a nasty cough- was a cold but it's moved down and making me wheezy and sore throaty! Boo! However on a good note my GTT came back well, really pleased as I have a high BMI so was an at risk category! grin

shabbychic1 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:01:02

Congratulations Thereisnocheese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now