Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

am i being unreasonable?

(14 Posts)
KO80 Sun 26-Jun-16 09:25:59

Hi, I am after other peoples opinions, i'm 39+2 pregnant, I've been off work for 5 weeks so i have been going a little crazy. On top of that we are doing work to the house so there is just mess everywhere. We live close to my husbands family (his mum is 5 minutes down the road) which is fine but my parents are 20 minutes away my dad can't drive and my mum won't drive to were I live, so if i want to see them i have to go to them, i also have sisters but i'm closest to my twin who lives 30/40 minutes drive away on the mmotorway, she has two small children, its easier for me to go to her at the moment as my house is a mess because of the work we are doing.

My question is my husband dosen't want me going over to see my parents and sister, as i'm close to my due date, i feel fine i get tired but i have no friends where i live and i feel like i'm going mad being indoors and resting all the time. He just says that he doesn't want me miles away when my waters break and will have to come and get me. Am i being unreasonable not taking his opinion on board?

Sorry for the long message.

Pearlman Sun 26-Jun-16 09:32:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seven201 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:03:01

He's being ridiculous!

ApocalypseSlough Sun 26-Jun-16 10:04:27

Why won't your mum come to yours?

thecatsarecrazy Sun 26-Jun-16 10:09:42

He's being a bit ott. My waters never broke with either of mine. One went just before he was born and the other had to be broke before I could carry on with labour. You may have a long wait and will go stir crazy stuck indoors

Flisspaps Sun 26-Jun-16 10:17:13

YANBU

kiki22 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:20:34

YANBU I'm sure I'm a pinch your sister or mum would drive you to hospital if it was urgent he could meet you there.

RosieThorn Sun 26-Jun-16 10:49:35

YANBU you will most likely get a fair bit of warning that labour is starting and the chances are the first warning will not be your waters breaking - even if it was you would still have time for your husband to come collect you and take you to hospital or, as someone's already said, someone else could take you and he could meet you there.
Has he been to any ante-natal classes with you? Has he learned how labour typically progresses? If not tell him to read up a bit. Unless your midwife or consultant has specifically said you need to stay at home just go with how you feel about things. If you feel fine to drive to see your family and it's going to stop you going stir crazy then do it, your husband will just have to deal with it!

winewolfhowls Sun 26-Jun-16 11:10:40

Yanbu but I think your husband means we'll and is just a bit nervous about the birth. He will have seen tv births and think they happen quickly, rather than the slow marathon they very often are.

Perhaps tell him about the warning signs of labour such as the clear out of bowels etc to reassure him you might get an inkling?

Could you compromise and have a taxi number to hand and promise not to drive if your waters do break?

PotteringAlong Sun 26-Jun-16 11:18:52

It's 20 minutes away! That's not far! I drive further to work (and 2nd time around I didn't stop work until 39+6)

RaeSkywalker Sun 26-Jun-16 11:20:33

YANBU!!

RaeSkywalker Sun 26-Jun-16 11:22:20

Why can't your DH go with you? I'm going to visit friends when I'll be 7 months pregnant, DH is anxious about it but has said he'd like to drive me and pick me up so that he knows I'm ok. Why can your DH not do that if he's bothered?

TheCrumpettyTree Sun 26-Jun-16 19:40:45

It's a minimum of 20 minutes away he is being ridiculous and should be more supportive. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

KO80 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:18:46

Thanks for you opinions! He just worries, plus he is doing most of the work to the house himself so i think he just thinks it's one more thing to worry about.

We went to NCT classes and he knows it can take ages and it's a slow process, plus I know that there hoepfllu will be signs! I should just talk to him about it some more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now