Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife - what to expect

(4 Posts)
Stressedout123 Fri 24-Jun-16 12:20:24

Hi,

I've got my first appointment with a midwife next week, I haven't seen anyone about my pregnancy yet.

I was just wondering if I'll have a scan in this appointment? Or is this just for all the form filling stuff? And what should I expect to happen during this appointment?

Thanks 😊

frikadela01 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:01:58

First midwife appointment is all about gathering information. You'll be asked about your medical history and have all your observations done (BP, height weight etc) you might be booked in for your 12 week scan or they might give you a number to call, it varies by area. You may also have tour bloods taken but again this depends on area, some places you don't get bloods until your scan.

MyMrKnightley Fri 24-Jun-16 15:11:48

They'll take blood and urine sample to test - ask permission to test for a range of conditions such as hiv and possible check for immunity for chicken pox.

Work out preliminary due date from last period date - this will change at first scan by few days.

Talk through your health and any history. Will discuss family conditions, so good to talk through with the father about his close kin. Will also ask about your mental health and any domestic violence, standard questions as pregnancy/baby can make either worse.

Also talked about the prenatal testing options and I gave permission to have combined test which for me was mesurements at the 12 week scan with bloods taken straight after. So no scan at first appointment but lots of talking and forms.

Also don't expect your midwife to be excited! For her it's just another booking in appointment, dispite it been a life changing event for you it's just another new mother to be for her. My midwife is absolutely lovely and has even popped into my work (shop) to check I'm ok but I left the first appointment feeling a little flat as she was so non plus about it all.

Stressedout123 Sat 25-Jun-16 16:08:37

Thanks for that, a bit disappointed as I thought I'd have a scan but I guess the tests and all the paperwork side of it is just as important 😊

How much do they want to know about medical conditions on the fathers side? The father has walked away from me and the baby so I can't ask him, as far as I know there are no medical conditions on his side so would that be enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now