Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 Week Scan...

(10 Posts)
ProseccoKiss Thu 23-Jun-16 20:41:29

Hiya, I have my 12 week scan tomorrow and was just wondering what to expect? Is it just literally a scan or is it like a midwife appointment where they weigh you etc? Thanks all xxx

shhhhSleeping Thu 23-Jun-16 20:48:15

Midwife appointment too. If you're having the downs test they take blood as well as measuring the nuchal fold on the scan and use the results of both to calculate your risk factor.

I also had weight done, blood pressure checked and got my bounty pack (total junk apart from the mini sudacrem pot which is brilliant for your change bag).

Must have been other stuff too but I forget now. Had ds with me so wasn't really paying attention!

RaeSkywalker Thu 23-Jun-16 20:50:38

I was weighed (this went into the mix for the screening tests, so if you're refusing screening, I'm not sure if you'll be weighed). I then had the scan, which lasted about 10 minutes. The sonographer then sent me off to have bloods done for the screening tests.

It wasn't like a midwife appointment for me, I saw my midwife at 8 and 16 weeks.

user1463652193 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:51:00

I got weighed at my 12 week scan but they didn't say anything about it. Then we had he scan and then I had a blood test afterwards but that's because I asked for the downs/Edwards screening and that was part of that. Be warned, we waited an hour for our 12 week scan and then the baby refused to move and wasn't in the right position so had to go back a week later for another scan! Was worth it in the end!

BettyOBarley Thu 23-Jun-16 20:56:10

I went in for the scan (if you're having the nuchal test remember to take your consent form - I forgot!) then went into another room where I was weighed, asked a few questions about previous pregnancies and then blood taken for nuchal test. If you aren't having the nuchal part I'd imagine it's just a straightforward scan.

shhhhSleeping Thu 23-Jun-16 20:58:49

If it's hot where you are make sure you drink plenty of water (my sonographer said at least a litre in hot weather). I thought I'd drunk loads but still got sent away for half an hour to drink more so they could get a clearer picture.

ProseccoKiss Thu 23-Jun-16 21:04:27

I thought all the test for Downs Syndrome etc were not until 20 week scan?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 23-Jun-16 21:07:43

It depends on your area. Some places it will just be a scan with a sonographer. Some places you will also see the midwife before/afterwards. Some places have already taken your bloods before the scan and therefore can provide the screening test results immediately after the scan. Some places take the bloods before/after the scan and send you your screening results through the post.

It should be explained in the information you've either been sent in the post or given by a midwife already. The letter will tell you what to expect and will explain about the combined screening for Downs and other trisomies which is done with the 12 week scan (not 20 week scan) results

BettyOBarley Thu 23-Jun-16 21:09:05

No Prosecco, the Downs test has to be done by 14 weeks latest.

Alichelseagirl Thu 23-Jun-16 21:10:15

My 12 week scan was separate to my midwife appointment. The sonographer sent me to have blood taken to check for Downs Syndrome, I was also weighed.

My midwife appointment was a couple of days later, they checked my blood pressure, urine and took blood for other things.

You must very excited for tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now