Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

larger ladies - when did bump appear?!

(19 Posts)
Dlah Mon 20-Jun-16 10:18:49

Just that really, I'm a size 18-20 and 5'8 tall, currently coming up to 22 weeks and still don't look any different - when I lay down, I can see/feel the difference but I just want it to be noticeable!

When did any larger ladies get your belly?!

SaraC8 Mon 20-Jun-16 10:51:03

I started looked noticeably pregnant around 20 weeks I reckon...I'm only 5'3 though so not much space for it to spread out grin I'm a size 16/18 if that helps. Not put any weight on though so far (I'm 24 weeks on Wednesday), so it was more of a matter of waiting to change shape!

lilydaisyrose Mon 20-Jun-16 10:56:06

I'd like to know this too. I'm a size 22/24 and it's years since I was last pregnant and I was a wee bit lighter then too (although still obese) - I can't remember!
I am 15+3 now and feel bigger especially in the evening but no discernable bump. I'm 5'2" and my weight is mostly on my tummy so I'm weeble-like anyway! Through the flab, I think I can feel the top if my uterus, which is still under my belly button. My upper tummy flab seems larger/bigger and I'm wondering if that is because baby/womb is pushing up lower tummy flab to upper part of tummy?

WinterRose92 Mon 20-Jun-16 12:17:43

lilydaisyrose I know how feel, I'm a size 16 - 18, 5'3 and I'm 15+4 and while I can see my shape has changed, it isn't a noticeable bump yet, though my fiancee says he can see a little bump! And sometimes I think I do too, but I think it might be a little while before it becomes noticeable to other people. I suppose it's just a waiting game! Everyone is different, but I can't wait till it becomes an obvious bump! Xx

blue2014 Mon 20-Jun-16 14:55:19

I've been wondering this too. I'm 15+5 people keep telling me I'm showing but I can see I'm not and its just my normal big belly with wind! grin

MrsMarsch Mon 20-Jun-16 15:28:02

I'm 5"8 and a size 16-18, at 14 weeks I have a discernible bump. It's only shown up in the last week and I am well proportioned - not fat in one particular area (just cuddly all over)

Northernlight22 Mon 20-Jun-16 17:20:40

I'm 23 weeks and size 20 - bump has popped out over the last 2 weeks. Other people can see it now (I still just feel fat!)

MrsJoeyMaynard Mon 20-Jun-16 17:33:35

I was a similar size to OP when pregnant with DS2.

A depressingly large amount of people were surprised when I had DS2. Talking about people who'd actually seen me in person shortly before DS2 was born.

I got comments ranging from "but you didn't look pregnant 2 days before DS2 was born at all!" to "well, you looked bigger but I thought you'd just been eating too many cakes" angry

So it kind of felt like my bump with DS2 was only noticeable to people who'd been explicitly told I was pregnant. He was born at 37 weeks too, so you'd have expected a bump to be there.

Dlah Mon 20-Jun-16 18:04:56

Some people just don't think when they speak clearly!

Tbf I wear baggy tops and people keep saying oooo look you're gettjng a bump - but it's just my belly hanging as usual lol

blue2014 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:07:43

Yeah, me too- ive just stopped breathing in my belly like I used to! smile

user1463652193 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:24:45

I'm 18 weeks and I think have started to look pregnant in the last week, though I could just look more fat (no one in my office who doesn't already know has mentioned it!). I'm a size 18 bottom and 16 top, but I generally carry most of my weight in my bum blush. I also look more pregnant throughout the day, by tonight I'll look about 8 months gone!!

lilydaisyrose Mon 20-Jun-16 18:31:13

Although it feels anathema to me, I think wearing tighter stretcher clothes when pregnant is the way to go as then your bump/fat tummy masquerading as bump is more prominent!

doesntmatterwhoyouare Mon 20-Jun-16 18:36:48

I was half a stone overweight (bmi around 27) when i got preg with dc1 (5ft) and no one ever noticed I was preg. When people found out they assumed he was very premature and very ill. It was summer so I wasn't hiding him under layers either. (he was little but full term and healthy)

DC2 I was about 1.5 stone overweight and people noticed around 30-35 weeks, although that was winter so I think they would have noticed sooner if it was summer.

StarlightMcKenzee Mon 20-Jun-16 18:39:06

No-one ever noticed I was pregnant. I wasn't massive but I've very curvy. Bump just filled my waist that was previously tiny and expanded it to my hips meaning I could fit into highstreet clothes for once.

bumblebee86 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:38:14

Hi Lilydaisyrose, I'm the same, I need to feel like my tummy is now getting bigger higher up, below my boobs and above my belly button, perhaps because the my uterus is pushing everything else up??

Weezie85 Tue 21-Jun-16 08:01:50

I am 5'9, size 16-18. First pregnancy didn't really look pregnant till 26 weeks. This one a bit earlier at 22-23 weeks.

missybct Tue 21-Jun-16 20:10:36

I'm 5ft 6 and about a 16/18 too. I looked quite obviously pregnant by 20 weeks, if not before - I tend to carry weight around my stomach more than anywhere else and have huge boobs, but am not big in other areas really.

Alichelseagirl Tue 21-Jun-16 20:34:09

I am slightly showing at 17+4 but I don't have a proper formed bump, it's like it is in 2 sections. I had quite a flabby belly beforehand and had a couple of rolls of fat, so that might be why. Do you think it just my full bump hasn't formed yet? hmm

SockQueen Tue 21-Jun-16 21:04:04

I'm 5'9 and an 18, and I think I only really started showing from about 25 weeks - before I just looked generally thicker around the middle rather than having a definite bump. Even now (28+4) it's much more noticeable in some clothes than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now