Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Double pram advice for toddler and newborn

(18 Posts)
PoppyPippyPopPop Sun 19-Jun-16 00:13:40

What double would people recommend for a 2 year old and a newborn? DD will be 2 when this baby is a month old. I don't drive so use buses frequently.

Ideally I need a double pram that fits through normal doors and fits on buses. And I'd prefer a pram with seats side by side but that I if I wanted to could choose to face me or face out.

Can anybody recommend a pram like this?

Marzipants Sun 19-Jun-16 00:18:06

Mountain Buggy Duet was great for us. Fits through normal doors, kids are side-by-side and it's pretty robust too. I have the old model and the old carrycot. The newer carrycot adjusts from a flat bed to a parent facing seat, but has had mixed reviews.

If money's no object, the Bugaboo Donkey looks great.

omri Sun 19-Jun-16 00:24:25

We used Phil & teds. One on top of each other. To be honest if you will be using public transport (like I did) then the narrower the better so the one on top of each other worked really well for us. Can also be handy single buggy if you only have one child with you sometimes.

PovertyPain Sun 19-Jun-16 00:27:10

Just going to say it. Make sure it is one you can fold, as you will need to if someone in a wheelchair needs to get on the bus.

omri Sun 19-Jun-16 00:33:40

Mine was like this. Came with loads of bits- so can be used with a newborn in a carrycot thing safely tucked underneath- v safe and v cute! then with that little seat underneath when they are starting to sit up. Love that buggy. Easy to fold too (once you learn)!

omri Sun 19-Jun-16 00:35:11

Final thing from me - I'd buy second hand if possible! There often for sale second hand and you save a good bit.

MollyBloomYes Sun 19-Jun-16 00:37:48

I had the oyster max tandem. Lovely pushchair but I've just sold it! Using a sling for baby and sturdy stroller for the toddler is working well and much less faff to get about. I bought the Hauck Miami 3 stroller as it doesn't take up much space and the basket is nice and strong. I never thought I'd be a full on sling user but I'm a complete convert so might be worth considering? Once baby is strong enough to go on your back it's even easier!

PoppyPippyPopPop Sun 19-Jun-16 00:44:27

Thanks for the replies,

Marzipants What are the seat sizes like? both babies will be in snowsuits or thick clothing at first as itl be winter. Is it still comfy or will they be squashed? More my 2 year old.

Omri I wrote a few questions out then only to realise you'd posted again lol. That pram looks very comfy for both doesn't it. Yes will be looking for a second hand,

PovertyPain I'd get off the bus if a wheelchair user came on and there was no room. I wouldn't be able to hold 2 year old and newborn on my own.

Zebrasinpyjamas Sun 19-Jun-16 00:55:09

I jave the same gap as you. Mountain buggy duet seats are very narrow so was not good for my 2 yo. I ended up getting the 4 wheeled version of the out n about double -the nipper. I love it. Easy to steer and has comfortable seats that keep my toddler upright (he didn't like the more bucket seats of the 3 wheel version where he was more reclined). It fits through most doors and is easy to fold. You have to get on the back of buses but that's true of my uppababy single pushchair too!
If I hadn't got this one I would have got the baby jogger select where seats are in line with each other but can face each other. I couldn't find any to view on a shop though when I was looking though.

chloechloe Sun 19-Jun-16 06:51:31

I've been wondering about double buggies as we should have a 21 month age gap. Am a bit reluctant to buy a double though and am wondering if I can get by with the pram and a sling or with the toddler on a buggy board.

For those of you with prams with the baby below - are they not a bit low to the floor? I've been eyeing up the ones I've seen around town (funny how you only pay attention to these things when you're expecting the second!) Does the baby not end up getting splashed by puddles and sprayed with mud - they seem to be practically on the floor!!!

Afreshstartplease Sun 19-Jun-16 07:02:25

Cosatto do a side by side stroller which can be used from birth and face either way

What I will say is get something lights

I had 16 months between DC1+2 and I could barely manage my double which was a graco tandem that put the bigger child in the front seat

Afreshstartplease Sun 19-Jun-16 07:03:20

RE buggy boards it completely depends on your older child, my DC 1 was about three before he wasn't hysterical on one

Afreshstartplease Sun 19-Jun-16 07:05:21

www.direct2mum.co.uk/Products/8800/cosatto-to-fro-duo-twin-stroller-pitter-patter?gclid=CKPG7dS1s80CFUqeGwodXpQNfQ

This is the cosatto one which I'd look at if I was having a smaller gap this time however DC3 will be 3.6 when baby arrives and will be fine on a buggy board or walking

camelfinger Sun 19-Jun-16 07:09:08

We got a Phil and Teds Dot as I needed to use buses. It is very slim (slimmer than our old single). My toddler rarely goes in the buggy; it would annoy me to push around a big side by side with only one child in. My bigger one goes in the bottom seat, it's a bit of a squeeze but he only goes in it for short periods. We used a sling too (23m gap), but I did find it helpful to be able to be able to bundle both DC into the buggy on many occasions so getting a double has definitely been worth it for us.

smellsofelderberries Sun 19-Jun-16 12:22:01

Phil & Teds are great, but if you really want side by side, (and you can afford it) the bugaboo donkey is fab. It looks massive but it's one of the narrowest side by side doubles on the market. It has the same foot print as a wheelchair.

AliBingo Sun 19-Jun-16 17:26:32

I live my donkey. Love how you can take it out as a single or widen it to a double so easily. Choice of forward or parent facing. Use it now for dc2 and 3 and occasionally have dc1 on buggy board too. It is the same width as wheelchair so it often just fits through a door or into a lift, assume the regs state that must be minimum wheelchair width wide. Took cheapo maclaren copy on holiday and had to carry it up stairs at airport as it wqs too wide for the lift.

Mrsbadger77 Sun 19-Jun-16 18:23:19

I'm selling a Phil and Ted's if you're interested. Planning on putting it on eBay soon. Pm me if you're interested !

cantcope2016 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:40:58

The hauk double pram was what I used when my last two were a baby and toddler. I found it to be a really good pram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now