Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diazapam?

(9 Posts)
Roobix04 Thu 16-Jun-16 06:09:41

I'm 19 weeks and my back has gone into spasm. I've previously been given diazapam for this when not pregnant. Is it worth going to my doctor or are they just gonna fob me off? Anyone else taken this during pregnancy?

Roobix04 Thu 16-Jun-16 06:14:22

It's really painful and I can barely move sad

MagpieCursedTea Thu 16-Jun-16 07:44:43

Do see your doctor. As far as I know, diazepam is at it's least risky in the second trimester (links to birth defects in the first trimester and drowiness/withdrawal in newborns when taken in the third trimester) but like all medications, doctors are understandably reluctant to prescribe to pregnant women. It's usually based on weighing up the risks vs the benefits. They may suggest painkillers instead but definitely worth seeing someone. I hope you feel better soon!

Roobix04 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:42:54

Thanks. Typically couldn't get an appointment today so will have to try a hot water bottle and a warm bath

isittimeforarainbow Thu 16-Jun-16 10:48:22

I'm 24 weeks and my back was so painful over the weekend we ended up on the maternity ward. Luckily it is just a bad back. I have had a prescription for codeine but have managed to get away with just some paracetamol and lots of rest. Day 4 today and feeling much better, it really is the pits though.
Please seek medical advice before taking anything (I also have a host of painkillers in the cupboard from previous episodes)

Roobix04 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:54:16

So far just been taking paracetamol and I'm gonna get some ibuprofen. Definitely wouldn't take anything else without medical advice. God bad backs suck. Especially difficult with a heavy toddler to look after!

isittimeforarainbow Thu 16-Jun-16 11:03:03

I really feel your pain. I hope it passes soon, I also have a toddler and it has been horrible this week as she is upset I can't lift her.
Ibuprofen is one to avoid unfortunately, (as with any anti inflammatories)

Roobix04 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:43:24

Dammit! Pregnant ladies never get the good drugs!

Jodie1982 Thu 16-Jun-16 14:32:06

I've got Bulging Discs in my back. In agony. House bound. Depressed now too as my gp said I can no longer take my pain meds. I'm high risk now so hoping the doc at antenatal clinic can prescribe me something nxt wk. sad I feel ur pain. Crap isn't it. 😣

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now