Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

In desperate need of advice

(8 Posts)
troubledsoul12 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:11:01

Hi everyone
I am 14 weeks pregnant and just found out I have uti ( first time ever ) and its really making me Ill and unwell .
Went yesterday to dr and she prescribed nutrofurantoin because I am allergic on penicillin .
But , huge but , I have an 18 month old toddler who still brestfeeds . I am trying to stop but it's so much harder than I thought .
My dr said no brestfeeding but she said it more as a anyway he is big boy .
I still didn't take antibiotic because I really don't know what to do . I know I must take it but how I do it with my little angel?
I really don't know .
Also, I checked net and it says you can not take it if you are brestfeeding newborn other then that it ok . ( American pharmaceutical company and basically everyone else except uk)
Can anyone advice Me pls where can I get more info or alternatively tips how to stop brestfeeding so I can protect my unborn baby .
Also myself because I am really ill

troubledsoul12 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:11:30

Thank you so much for your time

limeandsoda93 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:41:06

Are you on Facebook? This is the page to go to for accurate information m.facebook.com/BfNDrugsinBreastmilkinformation/ It's important to remember that most GPs and pharmacists aren't specifically trained in breastfeeding and have to go by advice that might be over cautious.

troubledsoul12 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:45:13

Thank you so much . I will check the website now . flowers

limeandsoda93 Wed 15-Jun-16 14:46:43

This is a screenshot from one of their antibiotic factsheets.

troubledsoul12 Wed 15-Jun-16 15:08:16

Thank you so so much . You really helped me . I did contact them and they did reply straight away .
I will start antiboitics now x with peace in my heart .
One more time thank you so much

KayTee87 Wed 15-Jun-16 17:54:56

Can your doctor not give you a different anti biotic? If you are breastfeeding they should only give you appropriate medication. It's not really up to your doctor to tell you to stop bf

troubledsoul12 Wed 15-Jun-16 23:42:55

She was limited between 2 because of my penicillin allergy .
I tried to give him milk in the bottle but it was impossible so I gave in x took two tablets x but saying that tomorrow I will persist because of my toddlers health x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now