Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I have a sweep?

(12 Posts)
leeds84 Mon 13-Jun-16 13:09:56

So I'm 40 weeks pregnant tomorrow. My first child was born at 39 weeks after a sweep (they wanted me to give birth before 40 weeks because of complications, but no such complications this tme).

I won't be seen again until 41 weeks where they will do a sweep / induction. But the midwives said that I could have a sweep before if I wanted to.

I'm just wondering if I should get one? I'm 39 and suppose I'm worried the longer I go overdue the more chances there are at complications, placenta failure etc.

What do people think? Thank you!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 13-Jun-16 13:11:57

I had 4 sweeps with ds none of them worked and I was induced at 12 days overdue. I would never agree to induction again but I'd have a sweep if offered

Kittyrobin Mon 13-Jun-16 13:12:55

If they are offering then I'd go for it. Congratulations it's an exciting time.

leeds84 Mon 13-Jun-16 13:14:29

Thanks smiling. Can I ask if you started having them at 40 weeks, or a bit later?

I suppose my dillema is whether to wait a bit longer to have the sweep, and at what point should I go for one .

MagicDucky Mon 13-Jun-16 13:17:20

I had my sweep at 40 weeks, it didn't do anything but I'd rather try a sweep instead of being induced.

leeds84 Mon 13-Jun-16 13:36:40

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into booking a sweep in the next couple of days.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 13-Jun-16 15:43:43

I had my first sweep at 40 weeks my second at 40+4 third at 41 and fourth at 41+4 I actually think there was another one but can't really remember

SoYouBetterRun Mon 13-Jun-16 16:31:44

Had a sweep at 40+0 with dc3. I had him 14 hours later. Apparently, I was 2cm dilated at the time of the sweep but the mw didn't tell me - I went shopping afterwards and was walking around for 2-3 hours smile

Good luck!

leeds84 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:41:10

Soyou, that's basically what happened to me when I had the sweep last time. Worked next day after walking around.

Eastend2015 Mon 13-Jun-16 19:44:18

I'm wondering the same- currently 39 weeks with DC1. I've had a really good pregnancy so far and been able to be quite active. A friend of mine had a sweep at 40 weeks then was in pain for 4/5 days but the baby stayed put. I'm really reluctant to spend that long in pain when bubs is clearly comfortable and so am I. I thought you can refuse sweeps and inductions as long as you are monitored regularly?!

leeds84 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:34:18

I think you probably can eastend. It came up with my midwives because I was asking them, as didn't want to go 2 weeks overdue.

loveulotslikejellytots Mon 13-Jun-16 20:52:55

I had 2. My mucus plug went 18 hours after and my waters went 24 hours after the last one, plus we did go for a very long walk. It went a bit downhill after that but it was nothing to do with the sweep! I believe (but happy to be corrected) that a sweep will only work if your body is ready and your cervix is favourable. If you don't mind them, maybe give it a go. Personally I wouldn't have one next time (if there is a next time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now