Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Labour and birth

(11 Posts)
JustmeandI1987 Mon 13-Jun-16 00:57:36

Hi,
(Sorry for the long thread)
My DD2 is due in 3 weeks time (or earlier as my DS1 was a week early). My BF is my birth partner and my friend who lives 10 miles away has agrend to watch our son whilst we are in hospital. However, my friend lives in the north of the city and am having the baby in the south so 20 miles drive to drop him then drive to the hospital. I've heard 2nd and subsequent labour and birth can be quite fast and I'm wondering whether I'll have enough time to drop him and make it to hospital in time. How long did it take you?

PhloppysFonics Mon 13-Jun-16 07:47:36

How long was your first labour?

Is there someone else who could drop DC off to friend? Or could friend collect?

I'm expecting my second so I'll wait with you to hear from others because I want to have a guess at how long mine will be!

katienana Mon 13-Jun-16 07:53:32

Get your friend to collect or meet you at hospital and pay for a taxi for her if need be.

RNBrie Mon 13-Jun-16 08:15:38

Second labours tend to be faster but you still generally get a warning that things are happening so you just have to respond a bit sooner than you might have done with the first.

Can your friend come to you instead of you dropping ds off? That way if you go into labour at night you don't have to get ds out of bed. Do you have any neighbours who can bridge the gap between you going to hospital and your friend arriving if you do have to go in a hurry?

Jodie1982 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:57:55

I don't think you'll want a long drive whilst in labour, you may need to make other arrangements. Can your friend pick up your child? Or stay at yours?

golda098 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:33:49

It's better to ask your friend to meet you in the hospital. All the best dear. smile Stay safe!

JustmeandI1987 Thu 16-Jun-16 19:50:11

Hi, over 48 hours and ended up with an emergency charger section.

Jodie1982 Thu 16-Jun-16 19:53:39

Are you ok? Did everything go ok? Who had your child in the end?
Hope you have a quick recovery. flowers

bebo100 Thu 16-Jun-16 20:35:28

Can you arrange child minding from someone closer too?
I had a friend who lives / works 15 mins away as short term cover, then my parents who live a couple of hours away to come and take over.

bebo100 Thu 16-Jun-16 20:36:11

Ooh goshz. Just seen your post. Congrats!

JustmeandI1987 Fri 17-Jun-16 11:11:21

Hi Jodie1982, I still haven't had the baby though it's due any time now. I'm 37+6 (38weeks tomorrow). I was answering Phloppysonics about the length of my first labour. Thank you all for your advice. My BF and I are still in talks and will decide the best way forward as someone stated I'll have warning signs. My friend is OK to be woken at night so we can drop DS1 at any time. Thanks all again. I'll keep you posted x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now