Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waitressing Work

(9 Posts)
Birdlet Sun 12-Jun-16 18:23:45

Hi there,

Has anyone out there worked as a waitress during pregnancy? I'm wondering how it's been for other ladies.

I'm a restaurant supervisor, normally working 30-40 hours per week. I'm about 8 weeks gone but have had to tell my boss already as I've been feeling really awful (constant nausea) and it was really noticeable that something wasn't right! We've got a really good relationship and she's been really understanding about how I'm feeling, she's put me on lighter duties (such as meet and greet) and she's given me an extra day off this week as I've worked quite long hours this week - but obviously I'm hoping that the nausea will pass soon so I can go back to my normal work.

I'm just not sure how I'll be able to cope towards the end of my third trimester - I'm really hoping to work for as long as possible, hopefully until the end of December (I'll be due around the end of January/beginning of February I think) but I'm not sure if that's a bit unrealistic? I'm normally on my feet between 5 - 8 hours at a time and don't always get the full amount of break time that I should blush

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! Thanks x

LaPharisienne Sun 12-Jun-16 18:35:44

I guess the problem is that everyone's pregnancy is different at different times?

Birdlet Sun 12-Jun-16 18:50:58

I understand that, thanks - just wanted some advice confused

MagpieCursedTea Sun 12-Jun-16 20:11:49

I had quite an active job in my first pregnancy and really struggled to keep up. Luckily I had a lovely boss who made lots of adjustments to make my life easier. I must've driven him mad but he never let on and really took care of me.
I think the important thing is to put yourself first. If something is too much for you, be honest with your boss about it. Your rights should be well protected in pregnancy so make sure you're getting your full breaks etc, if you don't your productivity will suffer and that won't be good for anyone. Take things day by day. You never know, you might sail through the rest of pregnancy as you're used to being physically active, but if you don't, be kind to yourself. Yours and your baby's welfare is the most important thing.

CwtchMeQuick Sun 12-Jun-16 20:19:51

I waitressed when I was pregnant. I really struggled with the nausea to begin with and had quite bad morning sickness. I managed to work until about 36/7 weeks I think. The main thing is to listen to your body, don't lift heavy stock and don't be afraid to stop if you need to rest. I agreed with my manager that I wouldn't work past 10pm and I wouldn't be on split shifts where possible. Communicate with your boss and colleagues and don't push yourself too hard

Alb1 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:02:49

I was a head waitress when pregnant with my DS, I managed to work 40-50 hours a week until 39+2 although it was quite hard at the end! I just made sure I ate and drank at every opportunity, I pushed for full length breaks and took the opportunity to sit down were ever possible. Towards the end I struggled to keep track of the baby's movements when working in the evenings (my babies most active time) so I had to go in for monitoring a couple of times after work just to be safe, just make sure you put yourself first and be clear with your boss about what you need

user1464990521 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:13:13

I'm a hotel manager and when I was pregnant with my daughter I was working shifts and 50hrs a week. I think like everyone has said, listen to your body and listen to your baby, they will both tell you when you're overdoing it!
I think I went to 36wks as I had symphysis pubis so could barely walk somedays! The moment I went on maternity leave it was a million times better because I was relaxed!
Stay hydrated too and take breaks, your boss should be making sure you have them! I always found sitting in the cellar a good trick for my breaks as it cooled me down too!
As a manager having had pregnant staff, it's hard as you need to balance their needs against the business needs. Be realistic if you need to ask for allowances i.e shift changes, lates etc, maybe come up with some ideas for you manager of where you can be of most benefit and how any changes can benefit them if being on the floor is getting too much somedays smile

JadeT2 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:46:13

I'm a restaurant manager working 45-50 hours and currently 19 weeks pregnant. I didn't have too difficult a first trimester and I've been alright so far into my second. I don't imagine that will continue into my third so I'll be taking three weeks holiday plus 4 weeks maternity because I don't want to be unable to perform to my best in the last few weeks. I try to grab 5 minutes sitting down every 3-4 hours or so and I take a litre bottle of water in to make sure I'm drinking each shift.

As long as you have an understanding manager you should be ok but I would advise you to consider how early you can finish.

Birdlet Mon 13-Jun-16 08:04:05

Thanks for all your advice ladies! Will have to out my foot down about my breaks a bit further down the line.

Sounds like I'm not being totally unrealistic with my wanting to work until Christmas as I'll be 35 weeks on Christmas Day and we actually close on Christmas Day for 2 weeks so I could potentially just start my maternity leave then.

I'd love to use up holiday time before my maternity starts as suggested but unfortunately I get my holiday pay monthly as it accrues rather than getting paid holiday time (long story!) so it'd just be unpaid time off sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now