Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else getting too excited too early?

(21 Posts)
JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 07:09:40

Hi all! I found out a week ago that I'm expecting baby no 2 after about 9 months of TTC. I am so excited and happy...but I worried I am getting ahead of myself. I am only 5 weeks and I know miscarriage can happen so easily at this early stage. I never worried once with my first but since this baby was difficult to conceive, I feel so protective and unsure. I am already mentally planning where the nursery will go, thinking of names and sex and eyeing up cute baby clothes when I am out!! Feel like the next 6-8 weeks are going to drag like crazy...Any body in similar situation??

Ellie06 Sat 11-Jun-16 07:39:29

I wish I was feeling more like you, I'm at the opposite end, we were very happy when we found out but since then not really excited at all and worrying about every little thing. I'm 7+2, it's my first pregnancy but my friend miscarried the same month I got pregnant which has made me worry even more. Please send some of your excitement my way smile

Whatsername17 Sat 11-Jun-16 08:39:34

I'm struggling to feel anything positive after having suffered a mmc. But, there is nothing wrong with being excited. Your excitement or lack of excitement will not affect the outcome so you might as well enjoy it. Mc takes that from you and makes everything harder. I would give anything to feel as you do. I did with dd and my lost baby and it makes me sad that I can't with this one. Enjoy it, good luck and have a happy and healthy 9 months xx

Happilymarried155 Sat 11-Jun-16 10:02:34

I found out I'm pregnant this week and I'm exactly like you. We have a little boy of 18 months who we had to have ivf to conceive and now we have this happy surprise. It's so hard not to get excited. We had a miscarriage before we had our little boy so I am abit wary but like someone above said if it's going to happen it's going to happen whether your excited or not. It's such a special time so I'm just going to make the most of it. Enjoy!

DoubleCarrick Sat 11-Jun-16 10:06:11

My first pregnancy I was so excited but had a mmc. I'm just getting excited now at ten weeks. I've been feeling bad for this baby that the last one was more wanted.

I think you should get excited. Enjoy your pregnancy. Bond with your baby. If the worst happens it won't make your grief any worse but at least this tiny little bean has felt your love already

ButtonTum Sat 11-Jun-16 11:29:42

Hi OP..
I'm in exactly the same boat. This is my first pregnancy and I'm 5+1 and bouncing from the ceiling.
I want to tell everyone but DH is being the voice of reason and trying to rein me in.
This weekend we are away with the whole family too and I usually love a drink so it's probably soooo obvious that I'm abstaining!
Fingers crossed for you all

MrsOBrien Sat 11-Jun-16 11:52:30

I'm in the same boat. Test said 2-3 weeks pregnant yesterday. It's our first and we've only been trying for a couple of months, so we feel very blessed and excited but very nervous because it's so so early

bumbleclat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:16:21

Can't be excited because constantly nauseous and feel like shite!
Looking forward to second tri.

CharminglyGawky Sat 11-Jun-16 17:35:03

I think I'd feel more excited if I didn't feel so sick!

We had an early scan at 8 weeks just because I found out when I wasn't even 4 weeks and the 12 week scan seemed like a lifetime away! After actually seeing that there was something with a little heartbeat in there I bought a couple of really nice sleep suits online. They arrived this morning along with a letter from the hospital giving me the time and date of my 12 week scan. That was lovely opening both at the same time, it is beginning to feel more real now.

I won't be buying anything else for a while now, other than maybe a teddy after the next scan. I also think when we start telling people the excitement will build.

JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:00:38

So nice to hear different people's experiences. I think I also feel like this because my first was unplanned so my first feeling was shock when I found out I was pregnant. This time the build up has been so big and I am so grateful it has worked that I am scared something might go wrong. A close friend of mine has just had a miscarriage at 6 weeks it seems like so many people have experienced them on here. Guess I am just impatient to get to 10/12 weeks when I will feel a little safer. Good afvice happily. Maybe i will indulge my day dreams a bit more! Why do you think you aren't feeling excited Ellie? A bit overwhelmed?

JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:02:42

P's double carrick sorry to hear about your loss. There is no way this baby will be less wanted in anyway and it is natural that you have been more wary. As the pregnancy goes on I am sure you will relax and gain all that excitement again x

JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:09:50

P's sorry whatername I didn't see you post! So sorry to hear about your loss too. How long has it been and are you TTC again? X

Whatsername17 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:57:51

I miscarried at the beginning of January. I'm now 7 weeks pregnant. Hopefully having a scan next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:30:28

Oh wow! The is amazing news. Congratulations.Are you feeling any better now? Will keep fingers crossed the c scan goes well smile you will have to update us x

user1464990521 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:10:12

I know what you mean. We found out we were expecting a few days ago and it's now all sinking in! One minute I'm really excited and the next scared something might happen as so early still!
I've had one mc and have an 8yr old daughter, but this pregnancy is the first with my partner (and his first child) so I pray nothing happens as he's going to be such an amazing dad! smile

Whatsername17 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:55:11

I think I'm in denial which makes me really sad. Hoping for a positive outcome though, it's all I can do really!

Toomanymarsbars Sat 11-Jun-16 20:59:09

We had to have a medical termination at just shy of 6 months due to severe toxoplasmosis infection. We then tried for months and then finally conceived, and I was excited from the very start but utterly petrified also. But I made a conscious decision to let myself feel the excitement rather than the constant fear because I thought if something happens again I would've rather had spent the time I was pregnant feeling happy than feeling afraid, though that was easier said than done.

JessJR23 Sat 11-Jun-16 21:17:25

I expect you will feel differently once you see the scan whatsername. How far are you now toomany or have you had the baby? Sorry to hear about your first loss, sounds dreadful.

JessieMcJessie Sat 11-Jun-16 22:27:27

I am 28 weeks pregnant after having IVF. It is only now that there are good odds of the baby surviving if born early that I am able to get a little bit excited and start buying things. At 6 weeks it all felt unbearably fragile. I had had 2 chemicals and an mc at 5 weeks previously.

chicken2015 Sun 12-Jun-16 08:04:23

I'm 4+6 and I'm super excited but just really anxious in case anything goes wrong ! I guess it's all normal, I've been getting what's like bad period pains for last week most of time, if I don't feel it it makes me worry! Can't u tell it's my first one!

Macauley Sun 12-Jun-16 14:14:45

Embrace your feeling excited grin I wish so bad I could have that feeling again but know I will never be able to get that back after having a mc at 11 weeks back in feb.

I'm now 8 weeks and it feels very different. I feel bad I'm not excited but flat out denial is how I'm getting myself through the early weeks (apart from feeling like I have the worst hangover every day).

So what I'm trying to say is there is absolutely nothing wrong with being excited, go with it and enjoy the positive feelings! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now