Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anterior placenta?

(19 Posts)
Dlah Thu 09-Jun-16 21:54:04

Has our 20 week scan today and found out we are having a girl! But also that I have an anterior placenta.

The sonography measured it and said its 5cm away from the birth canal so not blocking it which is good,

Just wondered if anyone else has/had this and any experiences of any issues its caused or if all been smooth sailing?

isittimeforarainbow Thu 09-Jun-16 21:56:04

The placenta can be anywhere, as long as it's not over the cervix it's not an issue

Sanch1 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:04:17

Not an issue really. The only thing is you may feel movement later than others, and not as strongly, or feel less movements than others. But as long as you get used to what's normal for you then its not a problem.

butterflylove16 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:45:33

I have an anterior placenta, & am now 38 + 3. It has never caused any problems, & I still feel dd kick. The kicks may not be as strong as if I didn't have an anterior placenta, but as dd is my first I don't know any different & know what movement is normal for us. The only time it can be a problem is if it's low lying which mine has never been.

WellErrr Thu 09-Jun-16 22:49:17

I'm 30 weeks with my third. I have an exterior placenta this time and have noticed far less movements than with the previous two. Also, movements started later, and by tummy is quite flabby instead of a nice tight bump like normal.

I've got another scan soon so I'm going to ask a bit more about it!

Porcupinetree Fri 10-Jun-16 05:53:27

I was told there was more risk of back to back labour and that was certainly what I had with my daughter (for 3 days!).

evilgiraffe Fri 10-Jun-16 06:00:58

No issues here. I had an anterior placenta with DD1, and a posterior placenta with DD2 - no particular difference between them to be honest. Not that I can associate with the placentas, anyway grin

underrugsswept Fri 10-Jun-16 06:04:35

Yes, I had one last time. No issues at all.

branofthemist Fri 10-Jun-16 06:27:57

I had anterior placenta with both children. With my first kicks were harder to feel and I did have to have her checked a few times. With ds I could feel it all the time. In fact he used to regularly hurt me.

It didn't cause any other issues.

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 10-Jun-16 06:30:32

I had an anterior placenta with both DS1 and DS2. I think as long as it's not over the cervix it's okay.

There were a few occasions where I went in to be checked out because I couldn't feel baby moving, and they could tell baby was kicking and moving on their monitor but I couldn't feel it, and the midwives put that down to the anterior placenta.

Inwaiting Fri 10-Jun-16 10:06:41

Mind was over the birth canal and had to go back for a scan and it was no longer blocking which was good. No issues whatsoever apart from I got movement a lot later than what others seem to

caffeine99 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:43:16

Both my babies had anterior placentas. I had no issues with it but didn't feel much movement. In my case I think that was a combination of the anterior placenta and the babies not having much room.

I knew that this was normal for me so it wasn't a big worry. It just meant that I was never wakened by a kick or a punch from baby!!

SweepTheHalls Fri 10-Jun-16 12:45:42

It was fine, apart from the fact I kept panicking about reduced movements as it meant I often couldn't feel her!

NovemberInDailyFailLand Sat 11-Jun-16 09:39:39

Not had any issues with it at 22 weeks.

GraceGrape Sat 11-Jun-16 09:44:38

I had one, felt lots of kicks and no problems during pregnancy. Although DD was not back to back, I did feel the contractions only in my back. However, I had the same in my second labour where the placenta wasn't anterior so it's unlikely that had anything to do with it.

Julieb85 Sat 11-Jun-16 11:42:20

I have an anterior placenta also...no issues here. I can feel kicks and movements fine, however my husband can't feel him as much when he puts his hand on my tummy. I see it as extra wee cushion protecting baby 👍 X

ArcticMumkey Sat 11-Jun-16 11:49:09

I had one (DD born in January) no issues apart from feeling less kicks. Was my first pregnancy so didn't know what it was less than anyway.
Had an elcs due to her being breech and again no issues. My friend had one with her 3rd DD and had a completely natural birth so no issues there either.

LittleNettle Sat 11-Jun-16 21:36:27

I had this - no issues, just didn't feel as much movement as others may!

Dutchy88 Sun 12-Jun-16 08:51:29

I had an anterior placenta with ds and he's our only dc so far so it's hard to say if it affected things but I do think that it meant that I felt less movement than if it hadn't been. I ended up in hospital with reduced movements on more than one occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now