Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mucus Plug (a thread of TMI- sorry)

(10 Posts)
SpeckledFrog2014 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:46:47

I've been feeling absolutely rotten since yesterday when I woke up. Last two days I've woke up with a headache and today couldn't even stand up to dry my legs after my shower (I had a cold shower so haven't roasted myself and iron levels were tested recently, all fine). I've just got over a GBS urine infection I was pretty bad with and now have thrush only externally though. When I was applying the cream last night I ended up with what looked like a giant translucent bogey on my finger about the size of a 20p. The only thing it looked like to me that has ever come out of that region is a bit of the mucus plug. I pretty sure I don't have internal thrush and have had nothing since come out, but still feeling rotten. I also feel like I need to poop all the time too.

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and a bit worried about preterm labour now, especially when the midwife told me the uti could cause preterm labour and looking back I had the infection for about two weeks but wrote the symptoms off as pregnancy symptoms. Maybe I'm not actually over the infection even though I took the standard antibiotics as you should. I've just had to plonk my 19 month old dd in front of paw patrol for the time being and my husband can't come home either as he has no annual leave left.

Has anyone else had a little bit or their mucus plug come away then nothing really? There was no blood, but there wasn't in the majority of the plug with my first (but it's all a different story with her as waters went and I was 12 days overdue).

Cheezewhizz Wed 08-Jun-16 09:51:39

Mine came out about 3-4 weeks before the baby arrived. She was 2 weeks late! I wouldn't panic, especially if it's only a bit. I was told that once you've had one child the plug often comes away a good while before labour as your cervix is far stretchier so opens enough to let it out from a much sooner stage.

Hope you have a safe and easy labour when baby is ready. At 36 weeks you would likely be fine regardless as 37 is considered term. The most that may happen at 36 weeks in my experience is a couple of days in scbu to help regulate temp etc.

SpeckledFrog2014 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:56:57

Thanks Cheeze, I will chill out and just get back to feeling sorry for my itchy bits and try and stop feeling bad, I'm sure it's just pregnancy symptoms. Both pregnancies have been so different. I did also have a 9lb 1oz baby last time so stuff is probably a bit stretchy down there anyway.

SeashellHoarder Wed 08-Jun-16 11:12:52

Ok, I know you can lose your plug early, but given how your are feeling as well I would at least give the midwives a call. It would put your mind at rest if nothing else.

BumpPower Wed 08-Jun-16 11:16:10

Mine was like this, kept getting big blogs of Pant snot for over 5 weeks ( she was 2 weeks late!). If it helps when she did come she came v quickly (2hrs) without any tears and the midwife said it was because my body had been gearing up for so long....

SpeckledFrog2014 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:50:35

Thanks both smile I've actually perked up now, things are still feeling uncomfortable from rib cage down. Perhaps I have just been too fast getting going in the morning. I like to be up and dressed. I do feel like a moaner this pregnancy calling gps and midwives but I'm going to mention all this tomorrow as I have a midwife appointment at 10.

Bump a midwife I saw last week reckons I won't make the hospital, my dad who's taking me isn't happy in case I have the baby half way there. With my first I was already 2.5cm dilated when I had a sweep, but it was almost a week later when I had her. If my waters hadn't had gone I wouldn't have known I was in labour until I was pretty much ready to push! Haha

SeashellHoarder Wed 08-Jun-16 18:04:15

How are you feeling now op? Don't worry about being seen as a moaner, we all do it and the second pregnancy is much harder on the body.

SpeckledFrog2014 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:11:58

Back to rotten again so I'm having a sit down now with some water. I'm actually having some tightenings but I'm just trying to establish whether they're BH or not. I think they may be BH as I have a couple of hours of them earlier then they dropped off and are back now, I'm just seeing if I get another in the next twenty minutes and hoping my husband gets home soon, he's been on his hour commute for over two now! I want to call triage, but I know they will want me down. Hospital is 30- 45 minutes away and I really don't fancy going down for what I think is probably nothing. My husband will probably have me call when he gets back though.

SeashellHoarder Wed 08-Jun-16 19:46:57

Yes sounds like it's worth a call at least. Good luck.

SpeckledFrog2014 Thu 09-Jun-16 11:16:15

I never called in the end as when I was in the verge of getting my notes I had three big ones in about five minutes and no baby whizzed out, so assumed BH. I've seen the midwife today and she said head is right down but baby is on the wrong side.

See how I go now, I've asked my husband to take his paternity leave earlier just in case. I honestly could do with the help even if I end up overdue with our dd as she's being a bit of a terror at the moment. She doesn't understand mummy doesn't feel well and needs to sit down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now