Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you tell work?

(19 Posts)
blue2014 Tue 07-Jun-16 09:01:46

I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow and have a scan at 15 weeks (missed my 12 week although had harmony test at 10 weeks which showed all was fine) - I feel I should probably tell them after that but I still feel anxious!

For background - It's an IVF baby and has taken us 4 years so I'm quite anxious. I love my boss but she's a gossip and will tell everyone as soon as I tell her (she almost doesn't mean it, just comes out of her mouth) and I work for a large team. Work do need to know, I'm the only one who can do my job and they'll need to replace me for the 3 people only I can manage.

When did you tell?

Fedupithink Tue 07-Jun-16 16:39:49

I had to tell my boss and director at 8 weeks, much earlier than I had planned but I was so sick it was affecting my work and ability to be in the office.

Both were over the moon! They have been fantastic and really supportive so far (now 17w) I have a long commute so now get extra working from home days and late starts and early finishes if I choose to.

My role is quite niche and I'm also the only one that does my job and we needed to adjust deadlines and project scopes and agree what I should/shouldn't start.

Definitely the right choice for me. Good luck!

blue2014 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:01:54

Thanks for that, I had felt a but sick but tried to hide it, hoped it would go at 12 weeks but no luck yet!

Best wishes to you

leoniethelioness Tue 07-Jun-16 18:57:07

I told my line manager at 13 weeks and team leader at 15 weeks. I told everyone else just before my 20 week scan. In hindsight I should have shared my news at 17 weeks as I started to get bigger at 18 and felt enormous by 19.

Congratulations on your precious pregnancy! I felt nervous about my pregnancy until my 20 week scan but everyone has been really lovely and pleased for me when I've told them.

katiegg Tue 07-Jun-16 19:03:09

I told my boss both times around 6 or 7 weeks, but the nature of my job meant I had to. First time around, I told a few other close colleagues after my 12 week scan and then the news just sort of filtered out to everyone else. By around the 20 week mark most people knew. This time I've barely told anyone!

Congrats on your pregnancy cake

lemoncakes Tue 07-Jun-16 19:24:41

Congratulations!

I told my boss and team the day after my 12 week scan. I told one of my close friends at work as soon as I found out (5 weeks) as I was too excited to keep it secret! I was sick as a dog right from the beginning so I'm really surprised none of them guessed before I told them.

MrBensMrs Tue 07-Jun-16 19:29:45

Told my boss at 13 just after my private scan before the NHS one. I am glad I was lucky enough to wait as long as possible, a colleague is also pregnant and told our manager at 7 weeks, at 9 weeks he blurted out handover discussions for her role in a team meeting! Talk about poor show!

riddles26 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:38:14

Congratulations! I told my manager at 8 weeks due to health issues and occupational risks - there are several and whilst I am generally aware, he advised me about some I would not have even considered. I am lucky that I could trust him to maintain confidence until I was ready to tell others.

I told the rest of my colleagues after 20 weeks when bump was starting to get visible. I had told my manager to let me know if he did need to discuss with other team members to plan staffing

Minispringroll Tue 07-Jun-16 19:41:32

Told work at 6 weeks, which I know seems really early. However, I have had several ectopic pregnancies in the past few years and chances were that I'd have to take time off if it had been the case again. Everything was luckily fine. However, decisions needed to be made about staff deployment for next year...and me going off half way through needed to be taken into consideration.
It wasn't an issue at all. I'm nearly 14 weeks now and have been more open about it this week.

Popskipiekin Tue 07-Jun-16 19:53:35

Last time I told at 20 weeks as I hadn't been in the job long before I got pregnant so felt awkward saying anything sooner, plus I didn't show until around then. This time round I have been gradually expanding since 6 weeks and am desperate to say something so I can stop skulking around with scarves and note pads held in judicious places, but wanted to wait till my first scan - which is this Thursday when I should be 13.5 weeks. I'll be telling as soon as I get back from it!

coffeeaddictedandfat Tue 07-Jun-16 20:36:32

first time at 22 weeks (didn't show) and second time at 6 weeks due to severe sickness. I had to regularly outside to puke into the bushes behind the office. Wouldn't have been able to hide it

BettyOBarley Tue 07-Jun-16 20:37:58

First time I told them the day after my 12 week scan
This time it was 16 weeks as we needed to have extra testing.

Puffykins Tue 07-Jun-16 21:03:16

I told my boss as soon as I found out, about eight weeks - I was too excited not to, also we had a sort of mother-daughter relationship. The rest of the office guessed about a week later because I went from almost flat chested to a D Cup and, not knowing how to deal with it, failed to adjust my wardrobe. Everyone was great and super supportive. Good luck OP, and congratulations!

blue2014 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:08:12

Thanks everyone, that really helps. I guess I'll just be brave and tell her after the 15 week scan if all goes well

And thanks for the congratulations too, they really moved me and made it all feel a bit more real! Congrats to everyone else who is pregnant too smile

stripeyorangesocks71 Wed 08-Jun-16 10:31:31

I told my boss at around 7 weeks due to some early scans (had some bleeding) and the fact I felt so tired at work sometimes. He understood and kept it quiet. We did a risk assessment form together and that was it initially! It's entirely your choice, I can understand why you'd be a bit reluctant to tell your boss if she is a gossip though.

10storeylovesong Sat 11-Jun-16 17:32:46

I had to tell work on Thursday, despite only finding out on Wednesday. I would have liked to have waited longer as had 3 chemical pregnancies this year already, but I'm a police officer and was supposed to be spending today in riot gear at Parklife! Supervision have l been really good and took me off it but said they wouldn't tell anyone until I was ready to.

sepa Sat 11-Jun-16 20:15:18

1 manager guessed at 6 weeks. Told close colleagues at 13 weeks. Others found out at 25 weeks on a training course when the course leader guessed and said 'I need a volunteer but not the pregnant lady' everyone was then looking around to see who was pregnant then noticed my massive belly behind my black top and blazer grin

malvinandhobbes Sun 12-Jun-16 09:19:35

I told mine as soon as the Harmony tests came in. I would have preferred to wait until after 12 weeks, but my excited DS1 told all his friends, who told their mums, and acquaintances were stopping me in the grocery store to say congratulations. We live in a very small community, and i wanted her to hear it from me.

malvinandhobbes Sun 12-Jun-16 09:20:43

Later that week I announced it at a large meeting as a reason I wouldn't take on a role that involved significant travel to Asia over the next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now