Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else pregnant with summer holiday booked to Spain?

(3 Posts)
Yourztrulyxxx Mon 06-Jun-16 20:38:43

We have a summer package holiday booked to Spain but I have read that the zika virus is expected to reach Spain by the summer months
I am not sure what to do- I wouldn't take any risks obviously but I can't seem to get sensible advice from anyone.
The tour operator didn't know anything about this

coppergrey Mon 06-Jun-16 21:11:06

We have a holiday to Croatia booked for September when I'll be 30w pregnant. From what I've read, the risk Zika will arrive in Croatia (and same for Spain IIRC) is moderate, so at the moment I'm just keeping an eye on it. The highest risk for Europe is Portugal, I think.

We booked through Thomson and I've looked into their policy for those who booked where Zika is currently active - they seem to be offering a change in destination for pregnant women booked to travel to Brazil etc. Some people have also got refunds - the key seems to be a medical certificate saying you cannot travel due to pregnancy and risk of infection.

So! As I (and you) booked before there were any travel warnings to Europe, I'm hoping if Zika does arrive we'll be able to get sorted without too much fuss. Hopefully!

mangocoveredlamb Mon 06-Jun-16 21:14:47

There was a thread about this a week or so ago, you can find it by searching.
Mixed consensus, but both my midwife and my consultant have said they wouldn't advise against travel at this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now