Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 week midwife appointment -what to expect?!

(11 Posts)
CakeLady456 Sun 05-Jun-16 15:37:15

Anyone else got a 16 week midwife appointment coming up? Not sure what they are going to do to me?!

Julieb85 Sun 05-Jun-16 16:03:48

Just a general check up...blood pressure, a chat and the should listen to babies heartbeat too. X

PhloppysFonics Sun 05-Jun-16 16:17:31

Just had mine. Blood pressure, urine check, asked if I was well/had any concerns, went through my blood results with me. Booked me for a GD test for 28 weeks (I have a high BMI). Discussed a few birth 'plan' ideas. That's it.

It's nothing to worry about.

LaraG13 Sun 05-Jun-16 16:18:29

They just took my blood pressure, asked how I was feeling, and used a Doppler to listen to the heartbeat, which was lovely.

Vap0 Sun 05-Jun-16 16:25:48

Are they supposed to have a listen with a Doppler? They haven't listened to mine yet and am turning 27 weeks on Tuesday.
In mine I just had a blood pressure test and she just asked if I had any questions. I think it lasted about 10 minutes. I was surprised I haven't been weighed again since booking in too.

Sanch1 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:09:00

Same as every other one you'll have! BP, urine, listen to baby heart beat (although not all areas to this at 16 weeks), a feel of your tummy, might measure your fundal height (but probably not until 25 weeks. I never got weighed again after booking in, last time, or this, and I'm nearly 39 weeks.

Dixiechick17 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:11:26

Not all areas listen to the hb before 24 weeks. My midwife said that they didn't in my area as they are still so tiny at that stage and it isn't always easy to find.

Dixiechick17 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:13:27

Mine went through results from booking in appt blood tests, results from downs test and blood pressure and urine check.

Mummyme87 Sun 05-Jun-16 22:00:43

Blood pressure, urine, check blood results, ensure any referrals have been made, general chat, antenatal classes may be discussed, check scan report and ensure anomaly scan is booked for 20-22weeks May offer to listen to fetal heart, but this isn't necessary this early.

smellsofelderberries Mon 06-Jun-16 22:45:50

Blood pressure, urine, blood test results, quick chat about any questions I had and that was it. I asked if we could have a listen to the HB but she said they don't routinely offer that in my area, and that she could only try for a few mins, and wouldn't be able to scan if we couldn't find it. I left it as had been up in the EPU a few days before and had heard it then.

CakeLady456 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:15:06

Thanks all!! Puts my mind at rest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now