Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dating scan- kidneys not visible

(10 Posts)
FKat2016 Sun 05-Jun-16 13:56:28

Hi, I'm 13 weeks pregnant and had my first scan on Friday (two days ago).

The sonographer didn't say anything to make me think something was wrong but her notes say that baby's kidneys were not visible. I have a tilted back uterus and she initially had a little trouble viewing the baby but once I half emptied my very full bladder, she was able to push harder and managed to get a better image. The baby was asleep for the first part so it's definitely not a case of it wriggling too much for her to see them.. everything else seemed to be visible so I'm starting to freak out... If they haven't developed by now does that mean they never will? I'm so scared it might be renal agenesis but surely she would have said if she was concerned? Or arranged another scan in another couple of weeks to double check they are there?

My next scan is booked for the end of July at which point I'll be 21 weeks... That feels like a very long time to wait if something might be wrong!

I probably sound totally neurotic but I'm feeling increasingly anxious about it because with each day that goes by I feel more and more attached, I can't bear the thought of being told at 21 weeks that I can't have my baby sad... I don't know if posting this is going to help or just make me even more worried! Am I just being a crazy person???

RaeSkywalker Sun 05-Jun-16 13:59:39

Call your midwife to discuss the results.

Poor you, this must be really worrying flowers

rainbowstardrops Sun 05-Jun-16 14:07:06

I would definitely call your midwife and tell her your concerns.
Hope all turns out well flowers

Pearlman Sun 05-Jun-16 19:51:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

primarynoodle Sun 05-Jun-16 20:07:52

It is to do with the position of your baby and any maternal factors e.g. the shape of your uterus more than likely!

Try not to panic but i have been on the recieving end of a horrible discovery at a scan and totally understand your anxiety. Can you ring your midwife tomorrow and be very pushy about a rescan at 16 weeks to check kidney development?

primarynoodle Sun 05-Jun-16 20:09:42

And just to add im now 35 weeks with a healthy baby and have had scans 4 weekly from 8 weeks - on a lot of my notes from scans it has:
'<Insert body part> not seen'

Tollygunge Sun 05-Jun-16 20:10:47

Trust me as someone who has been in this position more than once there is no way you'd have been allowed to leave that room if there'd been a problem. The fact they don't want you back until 20 weeks means they're not in any way concerned

Piratepete1 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:27:43

Whereabouts are you? Some cities have private scans with consultants who will either be able to put your mind at rest or help you decide the way forward. I had an issue where I had an enormous amount of fluid and they couldn't see the baby weeing so they thought he had a hole somewhere. I was petrified. I paid to go to MUMS clinic in Birmingham to see the consultant there who has something like a 99% record of picking up fetal abnormalities and he had a much better machine. All was well in the end. It was worth the £200.

Sunnydays321 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:59:38

There are only a few things they HAVE to check/measurements they HAVE to get... The rest are just a bonus. My 13 week scan last week the baby wouldn't turn off its tummy despite me being made to wiggle my bum in the air (not embarrassing at all!) mine says spine not visualised.. Although we can see half the spine on the photo... If there had actually been a problem with the spine they would have told me. The kidneys weren't even something they looked for on mine. It says bladder normal, stomach normal but no mention of kindneys. Bear in mind baby is less than 10cm long so the kidneys are absolutely minute. They genuinely wouldn't have sent you away if there was anything wrong. Xx

FKat2016 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:06:54

Thank you so much for all support and replies- it's quite a cathartic release being able to come here and vent my quite possibly irrational fears.

I will definitely ring midwife tomorrow and, depending on what she says, try to push for a rescan or pay the extra for a private scan. It may be be unnecessary and over the top but if just for the sake of my own peace of mind/sanity I would be more than happy to pay to know my baby is safe.

Thank you for the reassurance xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now