Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pretty Muddy Race For Life

(8 Posts)
livelyredjellybean Sat 04-Jun-16 16:35:03

Hi everyone!

I'm currently pregnant with my first baby, due in December. Before I found out I was pregnant, I signed up to do the Pretty Muddy 5K in July. I'll be around 20 weeks at this time. I'm currently in a dilemma on whether to still do this or not? I know that exercising while pregnant is fine, but there are a few things concerning me about the run:
1. My partner is worried about me being jostled or bumped into during the event. Is this something I should be concerned about too?
2. I'm a little worried about the heat. When I did it last year, I was much fitter than I am this time around and I struggled with the heat then.

If anyone has any advice or has done an organised run whilst pregnant I'd be very grateful for your experiences!

Thank you

NeedACleverNN Sat 04-Jun-16 16:38:57

I've just seen some FB photos of some friends who have done it.

It looks extremely busy which won't help the heat and the course is not really bump friendly

I would give it a miss this year and probably do it next year

Marshpillow Sat 04-Jun-16 17:08:58

I'm doing it in 2 weeks time. I'll be 18 weeks by then. I'm going to take it easy and avoid any obstacles I don't like the look of. Good luck if you decide to do it!

livelyredjellybean Sat 04-Jun-16 17:29:07

If you remember Marshpillow, let me know how you get on!!

lilydaisyrose Sat 04-Jun-16 17:33:46

I did it last year and wouldn't do it pregnant. I guess it depends how fit you are (I'm a size 22 and definitely not fit!), but I found it hard work. I also fell off the big rope wall thing you have to scale and go over the top of, and bruised my ribs - so that has probably coloured my view!

I am also pregnant and due in December - come and join our December babies thread in Antenatal Clubs!

Runningupthathill82 Sat 04-Jun-16 17:54:56

I'd do it. I did lots of races while I was pregnant, including a 10k fell race.

BUT I was very fit beforehand and running that sort of distance fairly quickly, without being out of breath or putting in any huge effort, was well within my capabilities.

The Pretty Muddy is safe and a fun-run type atmosphere. Nobody is going to rush you or hurt you. Plus there's no electrodes like there are in the likes of Tough Mudder (which I did pull out of while pregnant!)

I guess it depends on your current fitness levels. If you're fit enough to get round without breaking a sweat or getting out of breath, go for it.
If you're not, and if it'll take real effort, I'd reconsider. Pregnancy is a time to exercise within your limits, not push them.

LetThereBeCupcakes Sat 04-Jun-16 18:01:08

My aunt did it last year, I'd have said it'd be Ok but just looked on their website and it specifically says it's not advisable to do a pretty muddy event whilst pregnant. So I'd probably give it a miss.

Congratulations on your pregnancy though!

Julieb85 Sat 04-Jun-16 19:28:37

I did it last year too, 12 weeks after baby!! I defo wouldn't recommend it...I know the obstacles differ based on your location but we had quit which cargo nets, lots of climbing and only a few inflatables. The chances of slipping/falling r quite high so I'd maybe just walk the course if I were you X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now