Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nitrofurantoin dilemma

(15 Posts)
yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 12:55:13

Looking for a bit of advice as been getting a bit confused.

I'm 23 weeks pregnant (24 weeks in 2 days time) and I went to see a nurse today and she diagnosed my symptoms as a UTI.

she prescribed nitrofurantoin (4 times a day for a week).

I took it to the pharmacy and the pharmacist said I should not be taking this antibiotic as I'm pregnant, and to go back and get prescribed something else.

I went back and explained to the receptionist who went to chat to nurse. A few mins later receptionist said its fine for me to take as I'm not in final trimester and that the nurse has double checked with the doctor...and to take prescription to another pharmacy...

I've left but I will be in the final trimester in a matter of days and now I'm worried about taking the medicine. Also doubting that she checked with doc as the convo between receptionist and nurse was under 5 mins

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone taken this medicine when on cusp of their trimester??

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 12:56:04

their 3rd trimester*

Quills Fri 03-Jun-16 13:06:22

Third trimester starts from 27 weeks, doesn't it?

No personal experience of this medicine, but untreated UTIs can be very dangerous in pregnancy, so please don't just not take anything. If you want another opinion, can you ask for a telephone consultation with a GP or speak to a different pharmacist?

MintyBojingles Fri 03-Jun-16 13:16:41

I was prescribed it in the second trimester, all fine. Third trimester doesn't start till 27/28 weeks depending who you talk to.

Do get it treated, UTIs in pregnancy can turn nasty.

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 13:29:57

Ah I must've got my trimester start dates mixed up!! I'm only nearly 24 so should be fine. I'm going to check again with another pharmacist. Thanks all

bessie84 Fri 03-Jun-16 13:46:58

ive had these tablets in 2nd trimester, there totally fine with regards to baby, its last trimester your not allowed them, however, the tablets themselves are horrid with regards to side effects and they turn your wee bright yellow. but theyre the best by far for UTI;s. better to take them than not.

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 14:28:45

So I checked again and pharmacist said I shouldn't take them and showed me her book which said 'not for pregnancy at term'

I said perhaps at term means 'at the end', as in final trimester and she looked it up and said it did seem to mean if you were close to your due date...

So she dispensed them but I am now terrified to take them! 4 a day seems a lot too!

I have had problems with this pregnancy (had a cvs due to suspected Down's syndrome but all was ok) and I'm already quite anxious. I don't know who else I could check with?

Thanks for telling me your personal experiences of using the medicine it does help me worry a little less

bessie84 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:44:34

i was same as you, but if you read the leaflet inside, its definately just the last trimester your not allowed them. 2nd tri is fine. i was on 4 a day too. (make sure u eat a little before u take them cos they upset your tummy) im here 34 weeks with our ivf baby and worried the same, BUT the UTI was unbearable, id have took my kidneys and bladder out at one point. you'll be fine, i promise. none of us would tell you otherwise. x

MintyBojingles Fri 03-Jun-16 14:56:19

The (excellent) GP I saw said you couldn't take them in the last few weeks of pregnancy - more like from 34 weeks onwards.

They were my third antibiotic for the UTI, and the only one that got rid of it! Amoxicillin and kefalexin didn't work. I had no side effects with it too.

Best to listen to GP, but here is a reference article - says not advised from 38 weeks on: www.obgyn.net/articles/nitrofurantoin-low-risk-pregnancy

MintyBojingles Fri 03-Jun-16 14:59:13

And from the BNF (what you pharmacist should be checking against) - only contradicted at term (eg 38 weeks on): www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current/5-infections/51-antibacterial-drugs/5113-urinary-tract-infections/nitrofurantoin

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 15:26:27

Thank you so much for your help! I've read the leaflet and it says may be used in pregnancy but not labour or delivery.

I've just taken my first tablet and will complete the course.

Thanks for reassuring a panicked pregnant lady! grin

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 15:26:50

Thank you so much for your help! I've read the leaflet and it says may be used in pregnancy but not labour or delivery.

I've just taken my first tablet and will complete the course.

Thanks for reassuring a panicked pregnant lady! grin

MintyBojingles Fri 03-Jun-16 17:00:21

No problem, I was really worried in my first pregnancy when I had to take antibiotics and steroids, DD is absolutely fine ;)

bessie84 Fri 03-Jun-16 17:58:01

im joining you on antibiotics, just got back from GP, i have (another) suspected uti (trace of blood and protein) and (another) chest infection, so we'll cry together lol. you'll be fine, better to take them than not.

yorkshireteaa Fri 03-Jun-16 18:27:00

Oh no Bessie I'm sorry to hear that! Hope you are not feeling too poorly. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now