Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I just start taking iron or go and ask for a blood test?

(2 Posts)
frobskottle Thu 02-Jun-16 10:48:46

I have had two previous pregnancies, sadly I had a miscarriage in Jan but am very luckily pregnant again! I am only 6 weeks along but so far feels much the same as the first (my second was a partial molar pregnancy and I felt v different)
I have been anaemic through both my previous pregnancies and this time around I feel the same, exhausted and breathless and my heart is pounding after one flight of stairs even though I'm fit and healthy. MY DH thinks I should just start taking iron tablets, I wonder if I should get a blood test first. I don't really want to waste the doctors time though. Do you think it's important they know I'm anaemic if I am or would you just self medicate?

I'm fed up with wanting to eat dark chocolate at breakfast!!

seven201 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:15:21

Ask for a blood test. I think it's good for the doctor/midwife to be able to track your 'true' iron levels. Also depending on how bad it is you will need a different amount of iron tabs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now