Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy vitamins...

(20 Posts)
WickerHearts Sun 29-May-16 19:05:29

Anyone else finding that pregnancy vitamins are making them feel sick?!
I started taking pregnacare at 5 weeks, which after a while I realised were making me feel awfully sick. So at about 9 weeks I started just taking folic acid and vitamin D on their own and felt fine. I'm now 15 weeks and someone recommended the Sanatogen mum to be ones, have been taking those this week and now feeling really sick again sad

Anyone else had this problem?!

I realise as long as I'm eating a balanced diet then vitamins shouldn't be needed, just wondered if this was a common problem or just me?

McBaby Sun 29-May-16 19:16:08

Yep. Switched to folic acid only during first few week of pregnancy 2 and felt not nearly as sick. I will be doing the same this time!

WickerHearts Sun 29-May-16 19:51:12

Thank you for your reply, glad to hear I'm not the only one. Going back to just folic acid and vitamin D, though I'm 15 weeks now, do I still need to be taking folic acid?

Rubberduck2 Sun 29-May-16 19:54:23

You can stop the folic acid now... My consultant told me to stop mine at 12 weeks - they will have certainly done their job by 15 weeks. The only thing you need to take is vit D. If things are making you sick - I'd advise you just to take the vit D alone and eat well.. You will be fine x

Lisad1975 Sun 29-May-16 19:56:14

Oh god me too! Pregnacare really made me yuk in first pg but i kept on taking them all way through . Gagging every bloody night hmm now 2nd pg and i got seven seas tho bit hit n miss tbh when I saw mw ladt time she said dontbworry to much after 12 weeks tho keep up vit d if you can.
I shall finish these off and just do vit d

HonniBee Sun 29-May-16 19:58:54

I felt the same with pregnacare, so I switched to Boots own brand. They have ginger extract which helps with sickness in general. I was (and am) fine with them.

Serafinaaa Sun 29-May-16 20:09:32

Another vote for Boots own brand. I took them all through pregnancy and breastfeeding as they said they were suitable for both.

cookielove Sun 29-May-16 20:09:36

Pregnacare made me feel awful so I swapped to folic acid, I didn't realise you were meant to take vit d too so felt awful for ages that I had done something that could have harmed ds (he is perfect btw) switched to seven seas which was fine in the end!

WickerHearts Sun 29-May-16 20:23:04

Thank you for the replies ladies, I'm glad I'm it isn't just me. Wish I hadn't bought 3 boxes of them at the beginning of my pregnancy now hmm
Yes I had a feeling folic acid was only needed until 12 weeks, then I think I will stick with just the vitamin D for now then smile

mirrorballs Sun 29-May-16 20:25:06

I switched to Tesco own brand as Pregnacare didn't agree with me, so far so good smile

ReturnOfTheJewel Sun 29-May-16 20:54:04

Yep, I battled through the first 22 weeks with DC1, throwing up the mega expensive pregnacare every day almost as soon as I'd swallowed it.

The only thing AT ALL I could stomach during pregnancy with DD was Diet Coke blush - thankfully she turned out fine!

thecatsarecrazy Mon 30-May-16 11:02:53

Is it ok to take vit d and calcium? I already have loads of folic acid so didn't want to get the special pregnancy ones as they have it in. I take folic acid and a vit d and calcium separately

Minispringroll Mon 30-May-16 11:22:22

Pregnacare make me feel sick. Not sure, why.
I've been using Seven Seas for the past few years (we've been ttc for quite a while), first the pre-conception ones and now the pregnancy ones. They seem absolutely fine.
I've been asked at every appointment whether I'm taking folic acid (GP, fertility clinic, midwife). I'm 12 weeks now and nobody's told me to stop taking it. According to the package, it's meant to be taken throughout but we tend to have vitamin supplements in the house anyway. (We do have quite a healthy diet, it's just an addition.)

smellsofelderberries Mon 30-May-16 11:39:38

My first tri nausea was mild in comparison to a lot of people, but I found the Boots own brand prenatal sat quite well. I also took it in the evenings just before bed, not in the morning. I've heard that can make a difference too.

tiredvommachine Mon 30-May-16 11:41:43

They made me feel sick too whilst pregnant but I used them up after DS was born as not to waste them smile

WickerHearts Mon 30-May-16 11:58:46

Thank you ladies for your replies and recommendations, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering.
I wonder what it is in them that cause the nausea?!
I tried a couple of times persisting with them, but it was affecting me eating normally, which ultimately wasn't worth it.
Though if I could find something that didn't make me feel so awful I'd like to try and get as much goodness inside me for our growing baby smile Maybe I'll give the boots or seven seas ones a go xx

Utini Mon 30-May-16 12:38:54

Could be the zinc, it's well known for causing nausea, makes me feel very sick unless I take it with a proper meal. Think iron makes some people feel sick too.

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 31-May-16 01:16:17

Could be the time of day you take them too, as well as taking them with a meal.

I switched from taking them at breakfast (felt nauseous for the rest of the morning) to lunch (no problems).

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 31-May-16 06:13:13

Tesco pregnancy melt vitamins have done the trick for me. I herd bad this about pregnacare induced nausea so haven't bothered using even the free ones which came with the pregnancy propaganda bounty wallet at the booking in appt.

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 31-May-16 06:13:44

*heard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now