Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nosebleeds - please tell me it's normal!

(19 Posts)
duckyisback Sat 28-May-16 19:25:05

Just a bit of background, my first pregnancy ended in stillbirth. I had a beautiful dd. During this pregnancy i had an anterior placenta, I also had a lot of nosebleeds.

I then had my lovely ds. With him I had a posterior placenta.

I am now pregnant again, just over 14 weeks. Based on a recent scan they have said its a girl, and I have an anterior placenta. This alone has sent me into a panic.

But, I now keep having nose bleeds. Today I got out the shower and my face was covered in blood. When I went to dd's post mortem appointment I told them about the nose bleeds and asked if that could have been a sign of anything going wrong and they said they didn't know. So now I'm in a stress.

Has anyone else been having lots of nose bleeds?

Patterkiller Sat 28-May-16 19:28:24

My dd is now 17 and I was plagued with monster nose bleeds probably up to mid pregnancy. My DH phoned my mum one night as it went in so long. I don't know if it is usual but my midwife was unconcerned.

RuskBaby Sat 28-May-16 20:24:07

15 weeks here and I have 2-3 a week down from 1-2 a day at the start. From googling it's because of increased blood flow around your system.

duckyisback Sat 28-May-16 20:50:17

Thank you both!

Everyone I have spoke to in rl hasn't had them. Good to know I'm not the only one smile

LumpishAndIllogical Sat 28-May-16 21:49:15

Yes I had them loads in 2nd trimester. Not had them before

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 21:52:55

It can be normal due to increased blood pressure.
However just to put your mind at ease I would make an appointment with your midwife and perhaps have some bloods done to check your clotting.

An anterior placenta isn't a problem and shouldn't be in any way related to nosebleeds or even the fact that the baby is a girl.

Wishing you a peaceful pregnancy and a healthy baby daughter flowers

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 21:53:47

Increased blood volume, not pressure sorry!

Timeforabiscuit Sat 28-May-16 21:59:42

Yes, horrible nosebleeds here, never had them in my life before!

As a bit of a heads up, as above so below - I found that I was doing monster sized poos which led to a small amount of bum bleeding - sounds grim but was completely fine and normal.

I'm sorry for your loss,

tintinenamerique Sat 28-May-16 22:02:49

Never had a nosebleed in my life until I was pregnant with DS (anterior placenta). Have enjoyed them again with this pregnancy (another DS), posterior placenta. I don't know whether that helps, but definitely agree it's to do with increased blood flow.

Beansprout30 Sat 28-May-16 22:29:52

I'm 32 weeks, I've not had nose bleeds as such but I'm constantly blowing my nose and there is always blood on the tissue. Also have anterior placenta but can't see there would be any links

duckyisback Sun 29-May-16 05:43:33

Thank you everyone grin

I have a clotting problem, haven't discussed it too much with Drs as they told me they aren't worried because I have been put on daily aspirin.

wheresthel1ght Sun 29-May-16 06:09:06

I get them all the time and they were worse during pregnancy. For me it is usually a sign that my blood pressure is too low/high if I am ill or stressed.

For your own sanity I would speak to you GP or ring the triage on your maternity ward.

It could be linked to your clotting problem but it is better to be checked out

KP86 Sun 29-May-16 06:46:25

Yes, I had a few as had a friend.

Liss85 Sun 29-May-16 08:35:49

I've read that it's normal, due to increased blood volume. What's your clotting disorder? I have one too.

duckyisback Sun 29-May-16 09:04:20

I never have nosebleeds when not pregnant.

I can't remember what the clotting disorder is, I know I should have got more information. After I had my dd's post mortem they sent me for blood tests to check for things like lupus and clotting disorders. I was told originally everything was ok but my lupus 'levels' were raised. Then my midwife got copies of all the results and said the lupus was fine but one of the results show a clotting disorder. She said she didn't know much about it herself and was going to research but wasn't worried as I was on the aspirin which would eliminate any problems it would cause.

I have messaged the midwife for reassurance too.

Am also under consultant care and have an upcoming appointment so will check with them smile

Liss85 Sun 29-May-16 13:03:58

I wouldn't worry about the nosebleeds but if your clotting disorder is what I have then that is more than likely what caused the still birth and you need more treatment than aspirin.

I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome - it can also be called Hughes syndrome and lupus anticoagulant (even though it's nothing to do with lupus). It's an autoimmune disease that makes your blood thicker and is sometimes referred to as 'sticky blood syndrome' I have the antibodies but have had no pregnancy problems or stroke or blood clots, which is what it causes and I'm on aspirin and heparin (blood thinning injections), under a consultant with 3 extra scans at the end. I don't want to alarm you because you're probably fine for the moment and the aspirin will help, but you need to know if you have the same thing and if you do you need to get treated by someone who knows what they're doing right away.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

duckyisback Sun 29-May-16 17:47:02

Thanks liss, will definitely find more out about the blood results and any further treatment I need.

I really should have questioned it more but they seemed like they Weren't worried at all.

Liss85 Sun 29-May-16 18:15:24

The problem with it is that it's a fairly new thing and a lot of people don't know anything about it. You may need life long treatment outside of pregnancy too. If it is that, look up the Hughes foundation. There's also a big PDF with lots of info from the miscarriage association. If you want more info or to talk it through, feel free to get in touch.

Kellz92 Mon 30-May-16 09:38:04

I had horrendous nosebleeds with DD, hoping i dont get them this time lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now