Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bloody harmony test told me gender. I didn't want to know!

(41 Posts)
EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 11:41:20

Just a warning for anybody else undergoing this screening but wanting to remain team yellow,

When you are asked if you want the X Y screening which will test for Turners and Klinefelters syndromes think long and hard if you don't want to know the gender.

I got my results through the post yesterday. Thankfully all really low risk which I know is the main thing, it stated ''low risk of monosomy X' which is Turner syndrome and only a risk factor for girls.
No mention of Klinefelters risk at all even though I requested the screening.

This has inadvertently told us we're having a girl when we specifically asked not to know.
We really wanted a surprise as this will be our last DC.

sad

SharingMichelle Sat 28-May-16 11:45:01

Congratulations on your low risk pregnancy. That's great news smile.

YorkieDorkie Sat 28-May-16 12:37:06

Perfect sharing! Congratulations OP - look at the bigger picture. Your baby girl is safe and sound flowers. Now enjoy!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 28-May-16 12:39:17

If you knew you were testing for a condition only found in girls, how did you expect them to give you the results? It was always going to reveal the gender, unfortunately.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but surely it's better to know that she's low risk than to not know her gender but also not know if she's at risk?

Micah Sat 28-May-16 12:41:13

The turner thing doesnt tell you the sex though?

Your baby is low risk for monosomy x. So isn't XO- a single x chromosome only. They could still be XY or XX, as it doesnt tell you the second chromosome.

Yes turner is only a risk for girls, as a single x can only be a girl. But no turners means they have two sex chromosomes, the second could be either.

Micah Sat 28-May-16 12:43:50

Same as low risk for klinefelters wouldnt telly you the sex, it would only tell you it's not xxy. It wouldn't tell you which two chromosomes the baby actually has.

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 13:16:45

Thanks for kind words Michelle, Yorkie and Anchor smile
I know it's not a massive consideration and healthy baby is the main thing as I said in the OP. I'm just slightly bemused as to why they ask if you want to know the sex if the results will tell you in any case?

Surely they should at least warn you.

Micah I understand that Turners means only one X chromosome (XO) and that a low risk of it could mean either XX or XY (or XXX, XXY etc) but it's the lack of results for the Klinefelters syndrome that gives the game away wink

Anyway I didn't really post to have a moan just to warn anyone else who wants to stay team yellow but still have the harmony.

Zoomtothespoon Sat 28-May-16 13:54:09

I can imagine it's horrible to feel your suprise had been revealed but congratulations on the news that she is healthy!

VocationalGoat Sat 28-May-16 14:00:16

Count your blessings OP.
Imagine if you were struggling with a diagnosis instead of finding out you're having a healthy baby girl.
I envy you.
blush

Congratulations.

VocationalGoat Sat 28-May-16 14:02:59

Sorry if I come across as bitter but I've been to 'the dark side' with testing/results so it's changed me. A few years ago, I probably would have been more supportive of your post.

RupertPupkin Sat 28-May-16 14:06:16

Congratulations! I bet you're so relieved all is well. I well remember the anxiety of waiting for antenatal tests.

Roonerspism Sat 28-May-16 14:06:19

I think I would be celebrating the wonderful result TBH. I have seen so many families devastated by results.

I'm not even sure you have been told the gender TBH.

Did you ask about this beforehand?

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 14:06:27

That's fine VG.

I lost my Dad very tragically at a young age a few years ago.
Consequently I've got no sympathy for people moaning about their parents.
I'd probably be similarly harsh in your shoes.

Thank you for your congratulations and sorry for what you've been through flowers

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 14:09:32

Oh FGS Rooner, where exactly in the OP did I state that I'm not ecstatic that the baby is healthy. I think I implied the exact opposite.

Happiness and honest bemusement aren't mutually exclusive emotions you know?

As an aside I purposefully didn't post this in the antenatal tests area specifically do as not to offend.

Additionally this is my sixth pregnancy. How dare you assume that I've never had a bad outcome?

Roonerspism Sat 28-May-16 14:11:16

Sorry ellen I didn't mean to cause you such outrage.
It just read very oddly when you described your disappointment with the wording re Turners.

Anyway, my point was that I wouldn't assume you are having a girl.

Northernlurker Sat 28-May-16 14:13:15

Surely it had occurred to you that if asking for info on what the baby's chromosomes are, you might find out, you know, what they are?

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 14:19:07

No I thought I'd be given a result for turners and Klinefelters irrespective of the baby's gender.

I didn't ask for other aneuiploidies to be screened for. Just turners and Klinefelters plus the three trisomies.
I think the fact that no result for Klinefelters was given was a bit of a giveaway.

In any case, as I previously posted I put this out there for other people to have this information.

Not to have my happiness at a healthy baby called in to question by those who have no idea of my obstetric history and certainly not to cause offence.

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 14:20:45

I am simply and honestly bemused that they tick the box for not wanting to know gender and then present the results in this way.

It seems a bit counter intuitive is all.

Floggingmolly Sat 28-May-16 14:25:04

So they didn't actually "tell" you at all? hmm

EllenDegenerate Sat 28-May-16 14:28:41

In the absence of any logical explanation of why they would neglect to provide me with a risk factor for a syndrome which only affects males, a risk factor which I had specifically asked to be screened for;

Then yes molly they did actually tell me.

Unless you can provide me with any further knowledge to the contrary?
In that case I'm very grateful.

Northernlurker Sat 28-May-16 15:11:45

They haven't told you! You asked questions that would result in you deducing the sex. That's not the same.

Glastokitty Sat 28-May-16 15:21:11

You're being daft. I had to have a foetal heart scan where they revealed the sex of the baby on a letter they gave me. There was no room for doubt, the letter referred to a male baby. I was pissed off for about five minutes, decided not to spoil the surprise for my husband, and then was just relieved I was going to have a healthy baby ( had been high risk for Downs). Yes it was annoying and shouldn't have happened, but in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie.

Micah Sat 28-May-16 15:58:16

Isnt it more likely that theyve left off the kf test result or forgotten to do it?

They will still have done the test, so the result should be there, irrespective of gender.

They will have looked for sex chromosome trisomy, not the presence of a y

SuburbanRhonda Sat 28-May-16 16:04:50

Sex, not gender.

Cel982 Sat 28-May-16 16:08:01

I'd agree with Micah, it seems much more likely that the Klinefelter's test has been omitted in error. I wouldn't assume one way or the other based on that result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now