Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

not pregnant after a year ttc

(16 Posts)
missaimee92 Wed 25-May-16 20:56:11

Hi mums,
I'm a bit worried that my partner and i have been ttc for over a year, and still no luck. I'm only 24 so I expected to get pregnant pretty quickly. Can anyone give me some advice or is there anything I could be doing wrong?? Thanks any advice is helpful and much appreciated wink

FuckeryOmbudsman Wed 25-May-16 21:01:04

You might find this topic has more posters with relevant expertise in becoming pregnant:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception

broodykingy Wed 25-May-16 21:38:40

We were trying of 19 months and finally got a positive test this month, I couldn't believe it! It's so difficult when your trying and it's all you want!

If you've been trying for a year go to your doctors, mine started undergoing tests after one year,

missaimee92 Thu 26-May-16 14:45:22

Thank you, congratulations!

LadyAntonella Thu 26-May-16 15:01:44

Agree with above - I think you can go to doctors for advice after 1 year of TTC (6 months if you're over 35).

Also, as pp said, if you haven't already posted on any of the Conception threads it might be worth posting there too. Lots of support and advice there. Best of luck with it. flowers

LemonBreeland Thu 26-May-16 15:03:04

Definitely go to your GP. They should be helpful if you have been trying for a year.

FlatWhiteToGo Thu 26-May-16 17:39:36

I know it feels like a long time, but in TTC world it's really not. It took us longer and many of the couples we know. I think it's hard because all you hear are the stories about people who fell pregnant straight away or "weren't even trying".

I don't think you've got anything to worry about, but for peace of mind why don't you both go to the GP to start getting some basic blood and sperm tests.

Good luck!x

mrsmugoo Fri 27-May-16 10:38:20

What methods are you using?

Ovulation kits? Temping?

Just asking so you can be 100% sure you're getting the timing right.

broodykingy Fri 27-May-16 17:51:35

Also it depends on what contraception you was on as some can take up to a year or sometimes longer to get out of your system fully and not affect your hormones X

pinkladyapple Fri 27-May-16 18:01:19

Be prepared for a long journey if you go the gp route. We went to our gp in July. I had to have several blood tests on specific days over several months. Then my partner didn't get his sperm test until January - 6 months after first gp visit and told then we would need ivf. 4 months later we were still waiting for a gp referral to gynaecology to result in an appointment.

I wanted answers but I didn't want ivf so we stopped. Partway through the adoption process I found out I was pregnant.

My advice would be at your age not to go down the gp route just yet. If I had my time again I would have given it longer before going, but I have the benefit of hindsight.

MetalMidget Fri 27-May-16 19:42:39

We'd been trying for nearly two years when I went to the doctors - I thought it might just have been down to my age (I'm 35), and ovulation kits seemed to be useless.

Fortunately we were seen pretty quickly - sent for tests that showed that I had an underactive thyroid and polycystic ovary syndrome (kits were useless as I wasn't ovulating!), put on treatment (metformin and levothyroxine) whilst also undergoing other tests (getting my tubes checked, husband's sperm being checked).

Ended up pregnant less than two months later - actually had the positive test after testing on a whim the day before seeng the fertility consultant to get the husband's test results and to discuss further treatment!

I'd say it's worth getting it checked out, just for peace of mind (although waiting times do seem to vary across different regions).

Youngoldmum Fri 27-May-16 21:42:07

Hugs. Took me 14 months this time and it was completely devastating and all encompassing. I would say ditch the temps, charts, opk's and just have sex every 2 or 3 days all month. That's what we did the month we finally conceived xx

SpunBodgeSquarepants Fri 27-May-16 22:03:49

I feel your pain - we've been TTC for a year this month too. I've no idea what's wrong - I know I'm ovulating as I'm tracking my temps and CM and doing OPKs. I'm putting off going to a doctor about it though as I have a very high BMI, and I'm sure that's got something to do with it.

MummyBex1985 Sat 28-May-16 13:20:35

I'm on month 13 TTC. I have two friends couples who have been trying around six months longer than us and another couple who are pregnant with an unwanted child

Horrible as it is, it can take a long time. But you can get checked out after a year.

missaimee92 Tue 31-May-16 13:31:23

Thank you all for you helpfull advice
We have been together for 10 years, and just got married last September so we stopped using condoms in June before we got married, so I just suspected that after so long not trying to get pregnant that as soon as we stopped using protection I would fall pregnant. I've never taken the pill as I've heard many stories about it.
I live in Spain and the doctor here told me to wait a year before doing any tests. i also bought ovulation tests and have never got a positive.
We have sex 4 or 5 times a week but still no luck.
I will take your advice and wait before going to gp. Just have to be patient but it's very hard. Thanks for all your replies grin

pinkladyapple Tue 31-May-16 14:28:25

4 or 5 times a week is perhaps a little too often. Every 3 days or so is recommended to make sure he can, er, replenish the troops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now