Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Walked out of breast feeding class...

(20 Posts)
socktastic Mon 23-May-16 15:39:34

Feeling like I may have thrown my toys out of the pram.

In my NHS are, we get 3 antenatal classes. Today's one was about breast feeding and at our booking in appointment we were expressly told that the class was for ladies only and that partners were not to be there.

So, along I went today and what did every other person have there? A partner!

So upset, spent the first 20 minutes of the class sitting in the back with silent tears and quietly fuming. Left at the break as I was so angry. There was lots of information that my husband could have benefitted from.

Maybe I'm just being hormonal and unreasonable but I'm just at a total loss as why we were given this crappy information.

DontBuyANewMumCuntingDailyMail Mon 23-May-16 15:43:37

I'm really sorry you feel messed around, that would be very upsetting for me too, if everyone else had their partners there. I was a sobby mess during pg.

If you've got any specific questions I'm sure anyone on here will be able to help you, plus the feeding board on here has so many experienced, kind, helpful people around.

Don't beat yourself up mate. flowers

Novinosincebambino Mon 23-May-16 15:44:14

Yanbu. Did you say anything? Maybe call tomorrow after the dust has settled.

socktastic Mon 23-May-16 16:08:33

Thanks for the support ladies, a share size bag of haribo helps it seems!

I didn't say anything at the time, the people who run the class aren't the people who book the class but will definitely make enquirers as to why we were told this.

WorriedOrStressed Mon 23-May-16 16:15:06

When you've enjoyed your Haribo's grin, I'd get this fed back to your midwife.

I can totally understand why you felt upset flowers. Can you and partner go to a later scheduled class? If not, your midwife should be able to go over specific things with you both at a later AN appointment.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

ProfessorPickles Mon 23-May-16 16:16:25

Sorry to hear that OP, that is the last thing you want when pregnant. Could you ask to book into another breastfeeding class at a later date? It isn't fair that you had to be there alone for no reason

MrsSpecter Mon 23-May-16 16:17:05

In your shoes i would ask if you could take that part of the course again and bring your DH. They misinformed you.

Liska Mon 23-May-16 16:24:03

YANBU, and you should give them some feedback. flowers

Liska Mon 23-May-16 16:26:59

Oops, sorry! Reverted to AIBU speak (long day!) the flowers stand, though.

Convoysandwich Mon 23-May-16 16:28:56

When's your baby due? I'm sure you could arrange to go along to the next class instead.

It's no big deal really - just a bit of wrong information. I assume you're planning to breastfeed which is partly why you're upset? Is your dh in favour?

socktastic Mon 23-May-16 17:07:37

30th June due date. The problem is I needed to rearrange the classes as my dh started his new job today. With this just being for me I decided I didn't need to rearrange. He's had to do all sorts of wheeling and dealing with start dates so he can get paternity leave when the time comes.

I intend to breast feed but they talked so much about attachment and that would have been so useful for dh.

If I'd known I'd have rearranged for earlier in the month when he was still at his own job.

WorriedOrStressed Mon 23-May-16 17:18:52

Can he come to a routine AN appt with you OP? Ask your midwife to cover things then and answer specific questions you might have. Also there'll be opportunity post birth when community midwife comes to visit you but appreciate that'll be when baby is here.

doodlejump1980 Mon 23-May-16 17:21:28

I had the opposite issue, we both turned up at nhs antenatal parenting class, only to be told it's for mums only and they sent my husband away! I was raging! There's not much communication is there?!

kiki22 Mon 23-May-16 18:19:03

Poor you feeling so upset please try not to worry about 1 class my dp never came to any classes and only booking in app with me for ds its never been an issue in 4 years of parenting hes read up or asked me on anything he felt he needed to know. Same for this baby I'm always alone going to appointments I just tell him when I'm home what happened. He's not a dick btw just the way his job is hes currently taking care of ds while I'm in bed not feeling well.

Ask to go again or sit down with him get on google and go through all the info together but honestly it wont make a huge difference in the long run flowers

RaeSkywalker Mon 23-May-16 18:29:04

I feel for you- I'd be upset too. I agree with everyone that has said you should let your midwife know.

Hope that the Haribo has helped a little flowers

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 23-May-16 18:36:59

I think walking out is a huge overreaction, whether you are hormonal or not. You are going to have to cope with far worse disappointments than this during parenthood.

Are you not worried about the way you dealt with this annoyance?

Floggingmolly Mon 23-May-16 19:53:25

Can't you just fill him in on any things you feel he'd benefit from? confused
I doubt he missed anything life changing...

PeppasNanna Mon 23-May-16 19:58:34

Honestly there's no information in a bf class that you won't find online.

I bf dd for a year. Never went to a class, read anything as i had no intention of bf. Even brought formula & bottles to the birth centre.

The Infant Feeding section in MN is brilliant too!

Good luck

seven201 Mon 23-May-16 20:23:26

Gosh, I can understand being a bit miffed but walking out is a bit extreme! It sounds like a misunderstanding. However, pregnancy hormones can be a killer!

DontBuyANewMumCuntingDailyMail Mon 23-May-16 20:26:13

bibbity she admitted she'd thrown her toys out the pram and that she was probably being unreasonable.
She is pregnant and has been messed around.

Hopefully the rest of her parenting disappointments won't be while she's 8 mnths pg and feeling crabby.
they'll be while she's sleep deprived and crabby

A bit of sympathy is always nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now