Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Running in early pregnancy

(9 Posts)
broodykingy Mon 23-May-16 14:50:58

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, found out I was pregnant a week last Sunday after a year and a half of trying and I am now 4 weeks 6 days. grin

Since the start of the year I was training for a half marathon which is on Saturday, I have pulled out of that as with me being so early on I don't feel confident running that distance. I haven't run since I found out and do want to keep it up but was just wondering what distance is suitable? Anyone been given any advice?

I was previously going to a speedflex gym everyday which is high intensity workouts so I have cancelled those and feeling quite lazy and don't want to just sink into the slump of just not doing anything. Anyone got any other ideas instead? Most gyms have a 12 month commitment and I am moving house in 7 months plus I might not feel like going to the gym as the pregnancy progresses.

I intend to start swimming but I'm not great so it will be a gradual thing and I like yoga so will be doing pregnancy yoga when it is safe to do so.

Thanks

MrsH87 Mon 23-May-16 15:31:05

Hiya! Congrats on your news. I'm v similar to you date wise and chatted to my GP about exercise last week. I run and cycle and she said any cardio exercise is great, and to do what is comfortable. I don't think I'd undertake any great distance, but would feel happy doing regular 3-5 mile jogs...though I can feel myself slowing down a fair bit from being more tired. I really do believe (hope) that being fit and healthy will make this whole thing a little bit easier! wink I've heard marvellous things about the benefits of pregnancy yoga - not least that you get a cup of tea and biscuit at the end. X

broodykingy Mon 23-May-16 17:06:43

MrsH87 thanks so much for your comment. Congratulations to you too! Yes I was thinking that kind of distance, might do 3 later and see how I feel. Just feel lazy at the min so need to do something.

Ooh I will look forward to that haha!

AyeAmarok Mon 23-May-16 17:21:01

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I think running a half marathon (if you have been training for it and are fit enough to do it) is fine. You just need to take it a little slower and be aware of your heart rate not going too high.

I think running during pregnancy is a good thing, it's too easy to slip into the mindset of feeling rubbish-doing nothing-feeling worse-doing nothing.

I think I am sticking at the 10k distances (with many shorter runs too) as that's the distances I was doing before. They say you should keep doing what you were doing before.

And actually, running was the only thing that helped my morning sickness.

jamhot Mon 23-May-16 17:27:38

I believe that the advice is to not try to do anything that you're not already used to. As you were already running, continuing running should be fine.

That said, listen to your body. The relaxin hormone can make you more prone to injury, so no skimping on warm ups and cool downs! Overheating is to be avoided.

Good luck with your pregnancy and health activities.

Sanch1 Mon 23-May-16 17:31:18

I ran until 26 weeks. I dropped to 5k 2-3 times a week and dropped my pace by a min/mile. Keep going with what feels comfortable. Your body will tell you when its had enough.

broodykingy Mon 23-May-16 19:25:00

Thanks all.

I agree that physically I should be fine with the half marathon but I think (however stupid this may sound) that because I am so early on in my pregnancy if anything were to happen then I would constantly wonder was that the reason. Even though there is no way of knowing.

I have just been out for a 3 mile run and feeling quite good for it actually so think I will just stick to those distances as doing anything at all has got to be good.

Appreciate the responses X

Sanch1 Mon 23-May-16 19:32:44

I was due to run a half at 6 weeks pregnant and cancelled. I think youve been sensible.

fairgroundsnack Mon 23-May-16 19:45:26

Running in early pregnancy is great if you feel up to it and are used to it. I was training for a marathon when I found out I was pregnant with Dc3 and decided to carry on running up to 14 miles - which is what I was doing before - keeping it slow and listening to my body. I did do a half when I was about 8 weeks which I enjoyed, but I was regularly running that distance anyway. Stick to doing what feels good and enjoy it until you get too heavy or your joints start giving you grief!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now