Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone have experience with having a prem baby and gone on to have a subsequent baby?

(17 Posts)
Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 21:27:10

Long story short, I had ds4 last year at 34 weeks after 5 weeks of all the tell tale signs of labour. My waters didn't go until birth, but I'd had negative FFN test 2 days before I had him, went back in on the morning of birth again in pain and was 5cm. No cause for the birth, it just happened.

I'm now 24 weeks with my 5th and already paranoid that I'm getting niggles. (been to triage today).

Obviously wanting baby to stay where she is until term. So looking to hear of people's experiences? Did your next baby come early again or stay longer?

toopeoply Thu 19-May-16 21:31:47

Hi there, I had a 33 weeker,my waters went then 5 days later he arrived, my next baby went full term, no problems at all. But the next one came at 28 weeks. She's still in special care unit. My waters went again. Totally unexpected after the normal one in between.

I'm not sure if that helps or not!

MilkAndFenty Thu 19-May-16 21:35:31

I had my first at 31 weeks- no reason just spontaneous labor. I was in your position and really nervous- even spent 3days on hospital at about 33weeks with suspected early labor. However my second arrived term, only 9days early and he was hugegrin

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 21:37:10

Oh no I hope she is doing ok?

soapboxqueen Thu 19-May-16 21:38:39

First one at 32 weeks. No reason just did. Scbu for 3 weeks then home.

Second one at 35 weeks. Again no reason. On the postnatal ward with me for about 4 days, then home.

Both very fast deliveries. I suspect if I decide to have another baby they'll fit me with a cork grin

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 21:40:45

That's good to hear milk.

Took myself up today, after quite abit of plug loss yesterday which I wasn't concerned about but had period pains in my back since and uhmm diorrhea for no reason, aswell as loads of tightenings. It just felt like start of my last three labours...not concerned about anything happening yet because my body does things really slowly; but I also wanted to make it passed 34 weeks.

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 21:44:22

Thankyou soapbox. smile

vvviola Thu 19-May-16 21:45:06

My first was about 35 weeks - no niggles, no warning signs really (although clearly the indigestion I thought I was feeling, wasn't indigestion!). Waters just went.

Second waited until 39 weeks, no problems at all (other than suddenly finding myself at 5cm at a routine appointment without a single contraction I could feel)

Duckstar Thu 19-May-16 21:47:42

Ds2 35 weeks. Rapid spontaneous labour. DD stayed in till ELCs at 38 weeks. I did take it a lot more easy in last pregnancy so not sure if that helped.

MilkAndFenty Thu 19-May-16 21:58:43

When I was pregnant with my second I kept having bouts of dihorreah, loads of twinges and Braxton hicks got really bad past about 30 weeks- that's why I went onto the ward- I was convinced it was labor as they would not stop and very painful and my fibronectin test came back positive!
I also kept loosing what looked like plug all through the pregnancy, sometimes it looked pretty significant.
I know how scary this is when you've been through it once already- everything makes you worry!
However he still stayed in there!
I'm guessing you will have had the steroid injections and be under a consultant.
As long as your prepared there isn't much you can do except take it as easy as possible.
Good luck! You'll have to update us as to when he/she arrives!

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 22:06:38

No, they have given me no steriods. They wasn't going to last time either had my midwife not sent me back unhappy, I wouldn't have got them. Under consultant care due to a couple of reasons but nothing extra has been done. She just said she would be very happy if I made it passed 34 weeks which doesn't exactly fill me with hope. My first was born at 42 weeks and they have got earlier each time since.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 19-May-16 22:08:56

Spontaneous labour at 27+4 first time around (delivered 48hrs later). Got to 39+6 second time around so only 1 day short of term. Good luck OP x

MilkAndFenty Thu 19-May-16 22:10:17

Can you ask for steroids?! I'm quite shocked as I thought they hve to all women with a previous pre term labour as a precaution.

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 22:50:25

I'm not sure, I will mention it to my midwife next week at my appointment. But the consultant has put nothing like that in my plan. I feel like I'm kind of going to have a battle of things with them, after last time.i went in contracting rather painfully every five minutes, they could see that because of the monitor. But because the swab came back negative they sent me home saying they was 99% sure my baby would not be born for at least two weeks; I was bleeding aswell so knew in myself something was happening. Next day midwife sent me back up, because she could see I was in pain and was still bleeding. They decided just to give me the steriods afterall as a precaution as the monitor showed contractions were more intense. Went back in the next day feeling sure he was definitely coming that day, she looked at my cervix with the speculum and said erm I think it's closed, by this point I was quite distressed so she decided to examine me the proper way and found I was actually 5cm with bulging waters he was born 4 hour later. So I have no idea how she thought it was closed. It kind of knocks my confidence this time incase that happens again and they tell me everything is ok. Makes you feel like your going mad lol.

Annabrooke90 Thu 19-May-16 22:51:01

Thankyou namechanged smile

MilkAndFenty Fri 20-May-16 11:31:12

Yes I had this with my first- the dos the test- negative, put me on the moniter, nothing. Sent me home- next day full labor!!! It is more worrying when this has been your previous experience flowers

Annabrooke90 Sun 22-May-16 14:25:28

Thankyou milk. I'm still having period pains and awful dull backpain that comes and goes. So I'm definitely going to mention the steriods to my midwife on Wednesday. It just worries me that because I've had quite a few babies and each time they have been born earlier than my last one. Convinced my body has given up on me now, which sounds silly. My instincts are telling me I'm right and my head is telling me I'm just paranoid, but either way I would rather be on the safe side and get the steriods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now