Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant immediately after miscarriage - panic!

(12 Posts)
Jsh125 Wed 18-May-16 13:05:01

I know there's a few posts on this but most are a couple of years old so started a new one. I had a very early miscarriage at 5 weeks in April. I recovered really quickly (not much more than a slightly heavier period) and we weren't careful this month. I also made sure I had a negative pregnancy test following the end of the bleeding.

I've now found out I'm pregnant again straight after miscarriage which is great as its 100% what me & my husband want. However I'm now paranoid the same thing might happen again. My test line wasn't anywhere near the same colour as the control line but it was a lot darker than when I tested at the same dpo last time. I have been feeling a bit nauseous in the morning (like the sick feeling you get when you're hungry) but apart from that nothing.

I know it's such early days & I can't really do more than wait it out but just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips to help reassure them. I know no medical staff will be interested for a few weeks but every little ache, pain or niggle I'm noticing & keep going to the toilet to check for bleeding which is ridiculous. I take my temperature about 8 times a day 'just to see' & can see how ridiculous this all sounds but can't help it!!

Does the strength of the line make a difference & is there anything I can do to stop myself going mad over the next few weeks when I can just pay for an early scan?

Any advice or reassurance would be gratefully received!

AKP79 Wed 18-May-16 13:10:25

Hiya - there are lots of us in the same boat. Have a look at the pregnancy after miscarriage thread further down the list.

The anxiety after a miscarriage is horrible, thinking it's all going to go wrong, constant knicker checking, worrying about every niggle, worrying when you don't have symptoms, poking your boobs to check they hurt - then wondering if they hurt because you've poked them.

I won't lie, the first 12 weeks feels like an eternity, but like I say there are lots of us who can help you through that.

I decided against a private scan because I had a MMC detected at a private scan and I now dread the thought of scans. I've got my 12 week NHS one on Friday and I'm petrified. However, lots of other ladies have found early scans really helpful for getting them through the first trimester.

Good luck and congratulations! And I wouldn't worry about the line, a line's a line.

AKP79 Wed 18-May-16 13:14:17

This is the thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2631923-Staying-posifrickentive-Thread-9-for-ladies-pg-after-mc

CottonSock Wed 18-May-16 13:22:15

Been there too (4 mc), it does get easier after scan and past the 12 weeks. Until then try and enjoy life and keep busy... I did cheap test every day at same time to see line darker, if it stresses you out more though don't do it. I had scans too, but you'd probably have to pay for those

christiesmam Wed 18-May-16 15:19:44

I fell pregnant after a d and c when my last miscarriage didn't move on its own. I felt terrified until the 12 week scan. Needn't have worried though. Currently 30 weeks had a few ups and downs but everything is going well.

Congratulations flowers

PenguinWatch Wed 18-May-16 16:21:52

This happened to me. Positive pregnancy test at around 4.5 weeks after 7 months of trying then I started spotting the next day and miscarried. I was pregnant the following month which resulted in my gorgeous, healthy, full of life now 3yo DS. Those weeks until the 12 week scan really dragged so I completely sympathise!

Congratulations! thanks

needanewjob Wed 18-May-16 16:31:50

I fell pregnant with my son the month after a miscarriage, I was a bit worried because the advice had been to wait a few months. However the consensus no seems to be that as long as everything is ok with your health to go for it! I now have a gorgeous nearly five year old as a result

Jsh125 Fri 27-May-16 06:52:25

Thanks so much to all of you for your input. It's great to hear some happy endings. All OK so far but not getting too excited just yet!

thecatsarecrazy Fri 27-May-16 07:34:20

I fell pregnant with my eldest ds straight after an early mc (5 weeks)

CarrotVan Fri 27-May-16 07:53:11

If you're really anxious then you can ask your GP to do HCG blood tests to see if the HCG is doubling in 48 hours. It's not definitive but it's a positive indicator and it might make you feel like you're doing something.

MissClarke86 Fri 27-May-16 21:59:30

I feel your pain! Very similar situation, MC in Feb and pregnant again but very early days and a faint pregnancy test. I can't say anything to help except I understand!!

duxb Sat 28-May-16 07:36:59

It's completely normal to be anxious. I think any loss robs you of that overwhelming joy/excitement as you no longer associate positive pregnancy test = going to be a parent. I had a MMC in January - I was 11.5 weeks but baby measured 6.5 weeks. I had a break to allow a period in February and conceived in March. I'm now 14 weeks.

The first 8weeks leading to the 12 week scan were fraught with worry but so far, so good.

Hope everything works out for you - statistically there's no reason why it wouldn't and remember allow yourself to take time to re-settle and set your own milestones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now