Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant newbie

(7 Posts)
MrsH87 Wed 18-May-16 12:24:56

Hi all. I'm brand new here and this is my first post. Found out I was pregnant last weekend. I don't think it'll sink in til my doc appointment. So far just v tired and some moderate menstral-type cramps. Any tips for keeping it under my hat for the next 9 or so weeks. I'm usually the first to the bar on a Friday after work and I'm sure my family will be suspicious of my turning down a drink too! hmm

AuntieStella Wed 18-May-16 12:32:09

Firstly, get yourself over to the pregnancy chat thread for your due date: probably this one?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/2626435-January-2017-babies

Secondly, on the sudden abstemiousness, I suggest that you go in for fake drinking. People don't clock your consumption if you're behaving normally.

If you're at the bar, you can get plain tonic or fizzy water with all the bits and pretend it's gin or vodka. If someone else gets you a drink, raise it to your lips every now and again but take it to the loo with you and pour it away (or just swap glasses with your DH/DP from time to time. Having a crashing hangover works once or twice. But 'antibiotics' is tantamount to an announcement.

MrsH87 Wed 18-May-16 14:44:41

Thank you. I think I need to practise my poker face. I'm not good at keeping things secret, but fake drinking seems like a good way forward! I'm sure DH won't mind taking a few extra bevs for the team.

kiki22 Wed 18-May-16 16:45:34

I told everyone right away about 7 weeks I knew I wasn't going to be able to hide it and wanted to have the nice part of surprising people without them having guessed its one of the best parts even people who u wouldn't think would bother are pleased for you baby news seems to make people happy 😊

Just if you feel you will struggle to hide it and choose not to wait

hels18 Wed 18-May-16 17:07:10

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. Love a Friday night drink but found out last weekend I'm expecting. I plan to just order lime and soda at the bar this weekend, and if someone gets me a drink, pretend to sip it until I can get to the bathroom/share it about! Saying you are driving somewhere that night, or early the next morning is a good excuse too.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 18-May-16 17:34:41

I intended not to tell anyone but in fact have told a few people apart from parents etc. Am 11 weeks now and dating scan appointment is the week after next so after that I'll know what's what. Have been accepting coffees and just leaving them, and driving a lot so I can refuse drinks on that basis.

MrsH87 Wed 18-May-16 18:11:33

Congrats on your news all! I've still been having my single morning coffee (though have given up coffee shop strength brews). I'd love to be able to tell people earlier, but at the moment I feel so anxious about something going wrong. I might feel different as the weeks go by and I start to feel pregnant. It's difficult not being able to talk things through with my mum friends! I have a hen weekend coming up, which will be the ultimate test of my deception skills!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now