Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being a bit overanxious. I hope.

(8 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Wed 18-May-16 09:48:27

I'm 11+1. Early reassurance scan at 8 weeks showed tiny tiny baby with a strong heartbeat. Have had fairly constant nausea since about 5 or 6 weeks but no actual vomiting. It's improved but not gone in the last week. Have been knackered until last week when that started to lift. Boobs have been horrifically tender but today for the first time feel vaguely normal if gigantic. So up until Sunday I felt that everything was going as well as I could hope.

On Sunday morning I found blood when I wiped myself. Literally just a drop or so and it only lasted about 4 wipes - pinkish, redder, red, pinkish, gone. Nothing since. Everyone I have spoken to says that spotting is very common and that the real figure is probably a lot higher than the 1/10 women that I saw on the NHS website. But ever since Sunday I've been in a bit of a panic. I realise I'm near the end of the first trimester and it's normal for morning sickness and boob soreness to be lifting a bit, and I'm really glad to feel more functional, but the combination of seeing blood plus symptoms starting to improve just makes me wonder if everything is still ok.

I know I could have another reassurance scan, but I've got my dating scan next week anyway so there doesn't seem much point in booking an earlier one. I'm just freaking out a bit and intellectually I know I am probably overreacting but... can someone please talk some sense into me?

SmallBee Wed 18-May-16 09:51:23

Most midwives have a community number you can call to have a chat with them on the phone. They'll be able to reassure you/book you in for an appointment if you would like one.
Congratulations on your baby.

LidikaLikes Wed 18-May-16 09:57:17

Sounds fine.

I had bright red week long 'period' at 13 weeks... DS is now 6 years old wink

mikesh909 Wed 18-May-16 10:00:55

I'm also nearing the end of the first trimester and have experienced the same lifting of tiredness, sore boobs, nausea etc. No scan at all for me so far, but I too have my dating scan next week. It's an anxious time but I have read and been told that it's normal.

I also read somewhere about the way pregnancy hormones increase - daily in the early weeks, going down to every 3-4 days towards this stage. I believe symptoms are your body's reaction to the increase which I tell myself explains why I don't feel so relentlessly terrible all the time anymore. That certainly seems to fit the pattern I'm experiencing.

Good luck with your scan and the rest of your pregnancy!

mikesh909 Wed 18-May-16 10:03:00

p.s it is good to know that I am not the only person who rationally / intellectually knows one thing but feels anxious and emotional nevertheless!

AnUtterIdiot Wed 18-May-16 10:32:07

Thanks, everyone, I feel a bit better. Basically, I'm already very invested in the baby emotionally (hence the anxiety), but what I don't feel is very connected to it. I just have no idea what's going on in there. I sort of want a little window installed grin

AnUtterIdiot Wed 18-May-16 10:38:23

mikesh909 presumably you're due in December too? It feels both very far away and really quite scarily close grin

mikesh909 Wed 18-May-16 11:02:55

My dating scan is not until next Wednesday and unfortunately I really have no idea about dates confused. This pregnancy is a result of a pill failure... It could be November or December. Either way though, it does indeed seem both very far away and intimidatingly imminent. I'm not sure it feels entirely real to me or my partner yet. Maybe that will change next week...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now