Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

early scan

(17 Posts)
LBNM19 Mon 16-May-16 14:13:41

Hi everyone, I had a scan today and I'm 5 +6 weeks pregnant. They could only see a yolk sack and said no embryo. They want me to come back in 3 weeks time. Has anyone else had the same thing? I'm worried I've had a miscarriage as have had some bleeding

Princesspinkgirl Mon 16-May-16 14:21:58

It's so difficult to see much at this stage so don't think the worst yet I'm surprised they Are saying wait 3 weeks generally it's a 1 week re scan i want to reassure you that bleeding doesn't mean miscarriage unless heavy and passing clots I have had a miscarriage and it was missed no pain or bleeding so please don't think the worse my advice is to go back to your GP or call early pregnancy unit if your in the UK and ask for it to be redone in a week best of luck op flowers

LBNM19 Mon 16-May-16 14:38:48

Thank you very much for replying. I am in the UK I will go to the GP. X

AKP79 Mon 16-May-16 15:01:22

Was it an internal scan OP?

LBNM19 Mon 16-May-16 16:33:10

Yes it was internal.

Minispringroll Mon 16-May-16 20:29:50

I think it depends on the individual. Lots of people can't see anything on a scan so early on. EPU didn't really want to scan me before I was 6 weeks. When I went in, I was 6+3, but the scan put me back to 5+4. They could see a baby and a heartbeat at that point. However, having spoken to my consultant (and I'm very sure of my dates, we were on the verge of starting IVF), it's perfectly possibly for the baby to just have measured smaller because they are still so tiny at that stage. Most of the time, people don't really see much before 6 weeks and even then some don't get anything, yet.
With my previous one, I went in at 6+1 and they could see sac and fetal pole. Nothing else.
Fingers crossed for you.
Three weeks is quite a long time, though. My reassurance scan is three weeks after the first...and that's only because everything was considered to be ok. Previously, they got me in every few days. I'd check with your EPU whether they can book in for anything earlier. Did they check your blood? It's usually done every two days if there's an issue.

Pixie2015 Mon 16-May-16 20:44:50

Hi today I also had scan by my dates and scan 5w5d - only gestational sack seen offered rescan in 10-14d so opted for 10 - also had miscarriage Dec 2014 / tried and failed to Concieve 13 cycles in 2015 (not a good year!) / conceived Jan 2016 miscarried Feb 2016 / so think I may go a little crazy in next week ! Done lots of reading heart beat appears normally 6-7 weeks - fingers crossed for you too x

LBNM19 Mon 16-May-16 21:37:24

Thanks for your replies. Fingers crossed for you to pixie. The waiting is awful 😣 x

Minispringroll they only mentioned have a re scan in a few weeks i might call and ask as it's such a long time. X

AnUtterIdiot Tue 17-May-16 06:35:38

I think they are probably saying 3 weeks because before 8 weeks you won't necessarily be able to see a heartbeat. But our hospital ofers private reassurance scans from 7 weeks I think. I had mine at 7+5.

Spottyladybird Tue 17-May-16 06:51:00

I had the same. Went in at what I thought was past 6weeks, they could see a yolk sac and the hint of something else. Went back 2 weeks later and a very clear baby and heartbeat on screen with no need for internal. Put my dates back a week.

Spottyladybird Tue 17-May-16 06:51:41

Sending hugs. The waiting is awful.

LBNM19 Tue 17-May-16 08:24:44

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've read so much hoping for a postive outcome x

SouthDownsSunshine Tue 17-May-16 08:41:04

5 weeks is really early and you won't necessarily see a heartbeat. My local EPU don't like scanning until 6 weeks for that reason.

However, if you're bleeding, waiting 3 weeks for a follow up is a long time. I'd ask for a scan in a week.

I've bled at this point in all my pregnancies. Some have ended in miscarriage, but I also have a dd and am today 12 weeks pregnant despite bleeding.

There's still hope.

LittleLionMansMummy Tue 17-May-16 09:05:00

I bled with first pregnancy - actually quite heavy too (but only for a day) and thought it was my period. Ds is now 5yo!

Had early scan this time due to pain and was warned they may not see much as it was so early. I put myself at 6w+6. They saw the heartbeat and fetal pole but measured bean 5w+3 which made me worry a bit. My stomach continued to grow and still felt pregnant so assumed everything was fine and it was just too early to be accurate. Had my dating scan yesterday and was just 1 day out from my original thoughts on the date so everything on track.

These babies have a tendency to keep us worrying op, you just have to try to stay positive which is so difficult I know. Good luck, I really hope everything is OK. I've heard of lots of similar stories where everything turned out fine.

smellsofelderberries Tue 17-May-16 11:19:32

I've just been through something very similar. Started spotting at 5+2, heavy bleed for a few hours at 5+5, went to the EPU at 6+1 (all by my dates) and we could see gestational sac, and an embryo measuring 1.7mm (so, about a 5-5+1 pregnancy). Told me to come back in a week. Had a HUGE bleed at 6+3 (two days after scan) contractions I had to breathe through and lost a clot the size of my palm. Was expecting the worst when I turned up for the follow up scan at 7+1, but there was my little guy, measuring perfectly at 7+1 with heart beating away! They found a small haematoma and I bleed/spotted until 10 weeks, 14 weeks now and all is going well.

I had a MMC over Christmas, scans every 10 days to check for growth, lots of bleeding (where they could never find a source). It was hugely stressful and DH and I had prepared ourselves for the same to be happening again this time, but apparently I am just one of those lucky people who bleed during pregnancy wink good luck, and please keep us updated. Whatever happens, you WILL get through this, promise flowers

LBNM19 Tue 17-May-16 19:01:15

Thank you got your replies, I will let you no how I get on x

Sunnydays321 Wed 18-May-16 07:47:47

I also had a scan at 5+6.. I thought being so close to 6 weeks we would see a heart beat. But there was only a yolk and a sac. Not even a feral pole. They reassured me this was normal. Had another scan 9 days later, baby and heartbeat all fine, measured exactly 7+1 which was what my dates said. So I really was 5+6 (not wrong dates) at the 1st one and still couldn't see anything. Now 11 weeks and all ok, can hear heart beat with Doppler. Just waiting for 12 week scan. Good luck. Maybe call and ask for scan in 10-14 days instead of 3 weeks. That's a long wait! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now