Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Grounds for sick leave?

(11 Posts)
ilovechocolate80 Sun 15-May-16 10:55:54

I work in a secondary school mainly supporting. My job involved lots of walking around the school and bending over desks.
Discovered on Friday that baby isn't growing as well as he should be (another scan in two weeks). Been refered to physio because my back is in agony. Can't walk more than 5 minutes without having to stop. Then last night a lost some of my mucus plug. I'm only 28 weeks. I'm exhausted. Two other kids to look after and job. Partner back some but not all weekends. Is this grounds to get some time off or I just being a wimp? I don't mind the discomfort. I just don't baby to come out tiny and dangerously early. Feel utterly broken.

Friendofsadgirl Sun 15-May-16 11:02:43

Why don't you see your doctor and get signed off at least until the next scan? I ended up signed off for a month until the date when Mat Leave could officially start as I was not able to function due to hypermesis and sciatica and was totally exhausted from lack of sleep.
You need to take care of yourself and the baby.

RaeSkywalker Sun 15-May-16 11:10:07

I'd see your GP with a view to getting signed off. It sounds awful, flowers for you.

ilovechocolate80 Sun 15-May-16 11:10:51

I think I'm going to tomorrow. Phone on sick in the morning and then see the GP. Work is going to be so annoyed with me though. sad.

RaeSkywalker Sun 15-May-16 11:14:12

You're in a secondary school- your job must involve being on your feet a lot. Work might be annoyed, but you are unwell and are right to prioritise yourself and the baby. What does your contract/ work sickness policy say?

ilovechocolate80 Sun 15-May-16 12:25:38

I'm going to look it up online now. Thanks Rae. smile

bippitybopityboo Sun 15-May-16 12:47:04

Work should be the last o your worries. Legally they can do nothing about you being off sick with a Dr's sick note for a pregnancy related problem! Look after you and baby that's the priority!
Good luck hope all goes ok for you flowers

Nuttypops Sun 15-May-16 12:56:35

It sounds like it is worth talking to your GP. Working when you feel like that is awful, and you will only worry more for it. I hope you start to feel better soon and baby is doing well.
If you are signed off for a couple of weeks though, the only thing to be aware of is that if you are off sick due to pregnancy related illness in the last 4 weeks before your due date, they can make you start maternity leave early, but my understanding is that normally it is only in the last 4 weeks before your due date. BUT, check your contract/maternity leave policy for work as some policies stipulate that this can happen at an earlier date. You can legally start maternity leave from 29 weeks if you choose, so I would check the policy to make sure the above doesn't apply just to be on the safe side. The schools I have worked in previously haven't had this, but other industries do so it concerned me during my first pregnancy when I had to be off ill.

Friendofsadgirl Sun 15-May-16 14:38:21

Pregnant Employee Rights states:
Maternity leave and Statutory Maternity Pay will start automatically if the employee is off work for a pregnancy-related illness in the 4 weeks before the baby is due - it doesn’t matter what has been previously agreed.

Therefore my understanding is that before 36 weeks you are just off sick, as you should be if you had those symptoms outwith pregnancy.

seven201 Sun 15-May-16 15:49:58

I'm a teacher and recently signed off. My maternity leave will kick in earlier than planned, so at 36 weeks instead of 37.5. Although if I'm up to it I will go back at 36 weeks to stop it starting early - I will have to get a 'fit for work' certificate though. You're much earlier on though so they'll probably just sign you off for a bit.

ilovechocolate80 Thu 19-May-16 22:52:28

Thanks for all your kind words and advice ladies. I ended up seeing a GP who could see I was exhausted and in allot of pain with my back. He offered immediately to sign me off for 2 weeks. The relief was immense. DP has really stepped up over the last few months and took some time off work to look after me. Feel like a different person after some rest. My back is a lot better but soon gets painful if I'm active for a while. I'm seeing a physio but I know as soon as I go back to sitting on plastic chairs and leaning over desks helping kids, the pain will be back. I've decided to go on early maternity leave for the final term at about 32 weeks. Too worried about annoying them with more and more sick notes. Would rather be on good terms for the sake of 4 weeks. Such a relief to be out of there and I think the rest could really give this little one a boost. Thank you all so much. You made me feel like I wasn't being a big wimp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now