Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chicken Pox worry

(8 Posts)
Babygirlpw Sat 14-May-16 08:08:00

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had been through this or had any advice. I am almost 18 weeks, and have a daughter who is 3.5yrs. I was recently exposed to chicken pox, and after a blood test I have found out I am not immune (have never had it). Fortunately on this occasion I am not at risk because of when the child came out in spots. But I am now really worried about the next 5.5months. I know it's a lot of ifs and buts and maybes but I am worried. I am going to avoid all children parties, and let her nursery know to tell me as soon as possible if there is an outbreak at nursery. Anything else I can do? Thanks.

LimesMum Sat 14-May-16 22:13:18

Could you maybe have the vaccine? Ask midwife or GP?

suspiciousofgoldfish Sun 15-May-16 13:47:45

Yep agree with Limes speak to your GP or MW. I know you can vaccinate children but don't know about pregnant women.

Don't worry, lots of people haven't had chicken pox. It may be that the risks are reduced depending on how far gone you are. Just think of the millions of mums that must be in the same situation.

Hope you get some reassuring medical advice.

onemoremummy Sun 15-May-16 13:49:47

Can you have your daughter vaccinated so you don't get CP from her?

Babygirlpw Sun 15-May-16 13:54:34

Thank you for the replies. I think the vaccine is 'live', so if my daughter had it I'd still be at risk. I think they will give me something if I catch it, which should reduce the symptoms and severity. There is probably not much I can do-but you are right this is probably faced by many people.

tiggytape Sun 15-May-16 14:02:56

You cannot have the vaccine now but there is something they can give you if you come into contact with chicken pox to minimise the risk of complications to you and your baby. It is called Immunoglobulin. They may also give oral antivirals too.

However that relies on you knowing you've been exposed so that you can get the treatment as quickly as possible therefore it makes sense to really reiterate to nursery and other parents that you absolutely need to know if a child comes out in chickenpox a day or two after you have been exposed to them.
A lot of people don't realise how serious CP can be all through pregnancy and either think it's not a worry or that it is only a problem in the first 20 weeks which isn't the case and which is why you may need to really go to lengths to explain to them how important it is that they contact you.

The good news is that CP is usually a winter / springtime illness so there may be a lot less of it around now.

tiggytape Sun 15-May-16 14:09:15

Don't worry, lots of people haven't had chicken pox. It may be that the risks are reduced depending on how far gone you are. Just think of the millions of mums that must be in the same situation.
That's not strictly true. A lot of people don't know they had chicken pox but are still immune. That mosquito bites they had when they were 3 was actually a mild dose but enough to give them immunity. The vast majority of pregnant women are immune.

It may be that the risks are reduced depending on how far gone you are
The risks are lowest in the middle of pregnancy but increase again as time goes on. It can be very serious to both the mother and baby if the mother catches it just prior to the birth.

Babygirlpw Sun 15-May-16 15:49:48

Thanks tiggytape. I plan to call the nursery tomorrow and ask them to call me as soon as there is a case. I am avoiding all childrens parties so think my biggest risk now is my daughter getting it. It's going to be a long 22 weeks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now