Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

birth: what are the options without gas & air?

(12 Posts)
magnificatAnimaMea Sat 14-May-16 04:52:24

Gas & air (nitrous oxide), even in the smallest doses, makes me vomit uncontrollably. So the lack of it is one of relatively few things that kind of needs to go into birth planning.

However, am I right that that doesn't leave any options other than
(1) nothing
(2) epidural
(3) full anaesthesia

?

icklekid Sat 14-May-16 04:59:43

Definitely try for a water birth! There are definitely other drugs that are possible in labour- trys desperately to think back to nct classes 2+ years ago...Pethidine for example. Gives up and googles... www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pain-relief-labour.aspx

fuzzywuzzy Sat 14-May-16 05:01:06

You can have pethidine, makes you sleepy tho

magnificatAnimaMea Sat 14-May-16 05:29:54

thanks. Will talk it through with the midwife, just interested in options at the moment.

InTheSandPit Sat 14-May-16 06:38:20

Water birth, paracetamol, TENS.

adagio Sat 14-May-16 08:47:00

What inthesandpit said ^^

Tens then water, like you I took one toke on gas and air and was like err no, but I am also nervous of needles and having researched I was also not keen on stuff passing through to baby which kind of ruled out pethedine.

I got lucky, twice 😀

Just remember every person is different and every birth is different, and people seem better at sharing the scary stuff than the happy stuff! I went in with a pragmatic view but well educated on the options and impacts of the various drugs etc. So I felt well prepared, and my DH was also well informed (drilled by me) on what I was willing and not willing to happen.

Good luck 💐

loosechange Sat 14-May-16 08:51:49

TENS
Waterbirth if you can
Morphine
Co codamol
Practice your breathing. Sounds trite but it made a big difference to me.

readingrainbow Sat 14-May-16 08:54:10

I used pethidine but it crosses the placenta and my DD had it in her system when she was born. She stopped breathing a few times during her first week. Never again.

murphyslaws Sat 14-May-16 08:58:03

Hypnobirth . Google it. I know some women that swear by it

MrsBungle Sat 14-May-16 09:00:10

I had dia morphine for a bit of my 52 hour labour with dd. It was great, I got a proper rest for a while.

ElspethFlashman Sat 14-May-16 09:03:57

A lot of people have the bath. It is brilliant for pain relief.

TENS is always worth a try though I hated it - perhaps cos my first was back to back so it was adding sensation to an already painful area!

I'd pick epidural over pethidine tbh.

Oysterbabe Sat 14-May-16 11:29:09

The gas and air did nothing for me, gave up on it after about 5 contractions. I just had paracetamol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now