Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extra folic acid (5mg - 10x normal dose!) when pregnant with twins?

(6 Posts)
NotAClue82 Fri 13-May-16 11:32:03

Hi! I'm pregnant with twins and my GP has prescribed a higher dose of folic acid - 5mg, which is >10x the normal amount of 0.4mg!

Has anyone else been prescribed a higher dose of folic acid?
And did it make you feel nauseous? I'm suffering with awful nausea and am worried this will make it worse.

Thanks!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 13-May-16 11:45:11

I also take the higher dose. In my case it's because of my weight. It will do you no harm because if there's excess folic acid it just gets weed out (it doesn't build up in the body). I haven't found that it makes me nauseous - I did have morning sickness but that's starting to wear off a bit now (or at least I've had a much easier week than before) and the folic acid has no effect one way or the other.

The tablet's tiny by the way smile

NotAClue82 Fri 13-May-16 12:20:25

Thanks An! Reassuring to hear that the tablet is tiny grin

Eastend2015 Fri 13-May-16 16:28:09

I take it too (for epilepsy) + preggy vitamins so must be getting loads! Been cleared by the gp and consultant though and told the same as pp. it did make me feel nauseous to start with (during TTC) but no impact after usual 1st trimester symptoms disappeared.

NotAClue82 Fri 13-May-16 18:12:15

Cool thanks East

ZylaB Fri 13-May-16 18:52:48

I take it because that's standard for type 1 diabetics. It's never made me feel sick and is a little tablet. Are you taking pregnancy vitamins? I've often heard people say a particular brand makes them feel sick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now