Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should you be worried about a rise in systolic pressure even if within normal range?

(8 Posts)
makingmiracles Thu 12-May-16 10:17:28

Felt weird since yesterday, had constant headache yesterday and all last night, felt exhausted the last 48hrs so much so I almost fell asleep driving yesterday, I must have closed my eyes as I hit the rumble stripshock went to bed easier last night but still felt weird this morning and still as exhausted.

Normal bp for me has always been 110/70 pretty much at every mw appt all the way through, I'm 36wks now and popped into surgery this morning to measure bp on the machine they have in reception. Reading came out at 134/71 so higher systolic rate than usual but within normal realms according to dr Google.
No swelling, minor in ankles but at this stage that's very good for me as normally get Kankles and swollen feet from midway through, no obvious swelling in hands or face. Not got mw appt till next week and don't really want to make an almost hr drive to hospital when it's likely nothing.

Anyone had rise in bp but everything was normal/ anyone had slight rise in bp and there was a problem?

makingmiracles Thu 12-May-16 10:18:47

Pulse was 93

crumblybiscuits Thu 12-May-16 10:37:18

They don't worry/medicate until it hits 150/100. I would mention it to your midwife but your BP does normally rise anyway towards the end so try not to worry as long as it's under guidelines. My booking BP was similar to yours and they only started flapping when it got in the high 140s/99 but obviously that could differ with each person and pregnancy.

makingmiracles Thu 12-May-16 18:16:00

Took it again this afternoon and it's now 140/79 pulse 98, I know it's within normal range but I always thought you should be concerned if the reading was much higher than your personal "norm" will pop in the mlu tomorrow I think and see if they can test it and my urine to put my mind at rest

ParsnipSoup Thu 12-May-16 22:17:40

You should definitely get checked out. You're right in thinking each person gets treated differently depending on their initial blood pressure. Might be nothing but you don't want to miss preeclampsia.

crumblybiscuits Thu 12-May-16 23:25:19

Yes sorry when I said mention to midwife, I meant to say MLU or give her a ring straight away, not to wait til next appointment blush DD2 is four weeks old, I blame sleep deprivation. Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

QueenMeerkat Fri 13-May-16 00:28:52

Definitely go and get checked out - the headache and rise in blood pressure are things that need investigating just to make sure all is ok. Hope you get on alright!

Butterchunks Fri 13-May-16 01:39:15

I had severe preeclampsia which lead to emcs (but at 39+5 so dd was pretty ready to come out). I had a debriefing a few weeks after birth and was told a rise of more than 20 systolic was definitely worth getting checked out, and that a large change in bp is as significant as a high bp.

I only found out something was wrong when I went into hospital due to worries about reduced movement. I thought I would be back home within an hour but instead I spent 10 hours being stabilised and pumped full of anti seizure meds and ended up with a category 1 (get this baby out in 15 mins or less) emcs. It scares me to think what might have happened had I not gone in to get check out, there is a very Good chance that one or both of us might not have survived. At my midwives appointment 10 days prior to all of this my bp was around 135/85, I had a bit of swelling but no headache and no discernable visual changes. Looking back no I did feel awful the last week of pregnancy, i was exhausted, my back and shoulders throbbed with every heartbeat, but couldn't sleep because I was snoring so badly I would wake myself up or not be able to breath. I assumed it was par for the course, massively pregnant and all but have since read that the tiredness and snoring can be signs of bp issues (the latter because if swelling of the throat due to leaking fluids from your blood vessels)

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but please don't ignore any worries. Can you go to your gp or local health centre to get checked out? Quick bp and urine test? I've got ongoing bp problems (who knew you could has postnatal preeclampsia too?) And have been told that any time I'm worried to speak to them and/or come in. Maybe just tell the receptionist you are concerned about symptoms of PE and need to checked asap.

I hope everything is ok for you but please don't risk anything. If there is something wrong it can be very, very dangerous. Please let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now