Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thyroid probs/bad sickness still at 17 weeks :(

(6 Posts)
1moretime Thu 12-May-16 09:59:50

Hello. It's been a while since I last posted.
I joined the hypermesis thread at 7 weeks suffering with horrid sickness again with my second baby sad
I was prescribed after a while promethazine which has helped a bit but I'm still sick every day & it's worse in the evenings!
The last few weeks it has got worse, here's me thinking once I got pass 12 week it would ease off hmm
Anyhow I'm on thyroxine for underactive thyroid & my results the past few months have been up & down!
When I was 6 weeks it was 5.8 increased from 175mcg to 200mcg orders from my consultant.
Tsh then went to 0.32. Bloods repeated 4 weeks later & Levels went back upto 4.3. Apparently it's important to keep levels below 2 when pregnant. Iv been a nervous wreck. Had to increase my dose to 225mcg now. I saw my consultant yesterday who thinks my sickness is playing a big part in this, she's mentioned asking my doc to try different sickness medication. She mentioned cyclizine or metar something sorry about spellings!
She doesnt think I'm fully absorbing the thyroxine which is causing my levels to swing up and down. Iv also lost 11lb since becoming pregnant & im worried my baby won't gain sad
13 week scan went well so I know baby was growing but it's put me on edge after reading that tsh plays a big part in growth of baby.

Sorry for long post...anyone recognise these other sickness medication?
Iv got an appt at my docs this afternoon. Do you think I will sound ok asking to try a different medication or will I get a blank look like I originally did when saying I kept being sick.

Thank you. Xx

1moretime Thu 12-May-16 17:15:16

Been to docs, saw a new doc and she was lovely & very sympathetic. She has prescribed me cyclizine...so fingers crossed these will work! Xx

Corabell Thu 12-May-16 21:20:41

Hello,

I am hypothyroid and had hyperemesis from weeks 6-24 ( now 35 weeks). I take thyroxine and liothyronine.

I was initially prescribed cyclizine, then stemitil and eventually ondansatron ( which was the best). I took a combination of all 3 at times. I did struggle to keep my medication down and my endocrinolgist said it took 30-60 mins to absorb but that thyroxine has a fairly long half life.

If you are spewing very soon after taking the thyroxine then it may be not fully absorbed but equally it would be considered normal to have to increase your thyroxine during pregnancy.

1moretime Fri 13-May-16 18:14:33

Hello corabell

Thank you for your post. What dose of thyroxine are you taking?
Has your sickness eased now hun?
It's my first day switching from promethazine to cyclizine and iv felt more sick today & was sick when I got in from work at 5 when usually it doesn't kick in till later in the evening.

X

Corabell Fri 13-May-16 20:22:39

I take 100mcg thyroxine and 10mcg liothyronine.

Go straight back to your doctor if the medication isn't helping - or phone your maternity unit and ask to be seen by them if you seem to be getting worse.

1moretime Fri 13-May-16 20:52:35

I'm on 225mcg now. Hoping I don't have to increase any more! Will give it a few days to get in my system & if no better will go bk to gp.
Thanks hun. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now