Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The curious case of my disappearing bump

(7 Posts)
Thelittleredhead Tue 10-May-16 21:58:29

I'm 15 + 2 with my first baby, and I'm finding it very weird that I still wake up every morning with a relatively flat stomach (it was never very flat to begin with, so this is relative) and I go to bed every night with a full on "I'm 6 months pregnant"/ "I just ate 3 helpings of Christmas dinner with all the trimmings" bump, which is then gone again by morning. I'm not eating loads throughout the day or anything.

When does the bump stop disappearing? If it's just bloating, why does it look so much like a baby bump- that never used to happen! I can't "suck it in" and it feels solid rather than squishy like just a fat belly.

What's going on? Is this normal?!

OrchidLilly14 Tue 10-May-16 23:12:14

I found that I had something similar but, after speaking with my midwife and doctor my mind was put at rest!

The GP and MW told me that this was a mixture of bloating and the baby getting squashed after dinner and stretching out to give herself more room!

Maybe speak to your MW/GP to ease your mind if you're worried smile

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 10-May-16 23:20:40

I think gravity plays a part too - the same way we all wake up slightly taller than we go to bed. At night your little one stretches out along the axis of your body as gravity makes that easier. As the day goes on (s)he gets pulled more horizontally.

OrchidLilly14 Tue 10-May-16 23:30:58

We wake up taller then when we go to bed?! I never knew that!!!! smile

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 10-May-16 23:35:11

Just a teeny bit but yes smile your spine kind of compresses a bit from gravity as the day goes on

Thelittleredhead Wed 11-May-16 18:22:07

Huh- fascinating stuff!

Thanks ladies smile. I like the idea of LO having a nice little stretch in the night.

I think I felt some movement earlier today, for the first time, which was much earlier than I expected. It wasn't much, just like a little "click" inside. I got so excited! Which wasn't ideal as I was in a (very boring) meeting smile.

Hopelass Wed 11-May-16 18:29:58

I'm the same 16+5 today and look 9 months pg in the evening but just a little bit chubbier than my normal self in the morning. It's weird. I can't remember having this the first time round confused I'm sure I just gradually got a bump that stayed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now