Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How many.......

(7 Posts)
SunLolly Mon 09-May-16 14:57:26

Hi - I'm 29 weeks pregnant and have bought quite a lot of stuff already, but have a few stupid questions about remaining purchases:

I plan on getting a bednest - do I need to get a mattress protector for this? Also, it comes with 2 fitted sheets, would you recommend getting more or should 2 be enough?

I have a Cossato Giggle 2 - do I need to get sheets for the carrycot or can I just wash the liner if it gets dirty?

I intend to use baby sleeping bags but see these can't be used straight away - would I be okay to just use cellular blankets until the baby is big enough for the sleeping bags or should I use something else? Also, will 2 sleeping bags be enough or should I get more?

Are hats essential?

Thank you! smile

Junosmum Mon 09-May-16 17:58:56

We have 4 sleeping bags, probably only need 3- 1 in the wash, 1 on, one spare.

I'd use a sheet on the carry cot- if baby is sick and you need to go out again you can't wait for it to wash and dry!

We don't have a mattress protector, I use a towel, bedsheets, towel, bedsheet. So in the night if it needs changing I just whip off the first sheet and towel and have the second ready so I'm not trying to comfort a crying baby and fish around for a clean bedsheet! I'd get a third bedsheet as well

Junosmum Mon 09-May-16 17:59:45

And yes to the cellular blanket

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 09-May-16 18:13:04

I would get some light cotton hats - British summers can be unpredictable!! And baby is used to a toasty 37 degrees in your belly smile

Nuttypops Mon 09-May-16 18:13:40

Cellular blankets are fine before/instead of sleeping bags.
I would get more sheets, 3 or 4 in total is a good idea. We have had nights we go through 3 full loads of bedding because of vomiting incidents when DD has been ill.
Mattress protector is useful but not essential if you layer bedding.

MintyBojingles Mon 09-May-16 19:15:45

Get more sheets, two possets or nappy leaks in a row and you're in trouble otherwise!

skankingpiglet Mon 09-May-16 20:32:32

YY to more sheets. As PPs have said, 4 is good.

For the carry cot, you can buy sheets, or you can tuck a muslin in under them.

We have 2 sleeping bags in each size and tog. So 2x 0-6mo 2.5tog, 2x 0-6mo 1tog etc. This was plenty we found, and on the rare occasion both were dirty/in the wash at the same time, we just reverted to the cellular blankets (which will be perfect to use before your baby fits the bags, especially as you are having a summer baby).

On the hat front, 23mo DD was born in a heatwave and wore one for her first few hours in the world. She has pretty much consistently refused to wear one since. She was born with a full head of hair, and like I said it was hot so I wasn't worried. The midwives/HV didn't seem bothered by it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now